VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Okay, I'm quite lost... here's my problem:

Just bought a Pioneer DV-350 player, which seems to be quite good but I'm having a weird problem.

If I put a DVD in the player and start watching it... the image/colors kind of "blink" or "flicker" quickly every 2 second or something but you can still see the movie. I think it is the macrovision protection that's causing it because homemade VCD's and SVCD's work fine!

The player is connected directly to the TV, nothing inbetween.
    I've tried connecting the player differently using different cables, I get the same result more or less.

Anyone heard of such a problem? Maybe you know how to solve it? Or is the player broken?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Guest
    It seems to be gone now, never found out what caused it to flicker but it wasn't macrovision that caused it anyway...
    Quote Quote  
  3. This can be caused by a faulty DAC chip. How old is the unit?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guest
    It's new, I got it yesterday..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Was your final video frame based or fied based. I sat this only because Frame Based encoding is for computers and when viewed on TV screens can cause the picture to flicker, while field based encoding is for Interlaced TV Viewing and will have a flicker-free picture when played to TV monitor.

Glad you fixd the problem though,
    Dezine (Michael) 8)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    It came back... so I'm back where I started. I'm begining to wonder if the player is broken, I simply can't just get a new one and test that because I ordered the DVD player.

Anyway I'm not sure flicker is the right word, it's more like pulses that makes the color blink... 1 sec, 2 sec, blink 1 sec, 2 sec, blink and so on. The blink itself is very quick. That's why I thought it was all related to macrovision but now I just don't know, feels like I tried everything AND it disappered for a while then came back and now I can't seem to get rid of it... that's what so odd.

I tried calling around, no one knew. But they said I should bring the player to the store and ask if i could try it on another 100hz Widescreen TV. If it fails there too, it's broken.
    Quote Quote