VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My friend and I built a system to copy our DVD movie collections and have had some teething problems.

System

Athlon 1Ghz
    256MB SDRAM
    ABIT KT7A RAID Motherboard
    80GB IBM Deskstar Drive
    Pioneer 104 DVD Writer
    GeForce 2 MX Graphics

We can rip the DVD originals fine with Smartripper removing macrovision and region protection and no problems.

We can then burn it to the media which is Datasafe Generation 3 media and White label R/W discs with no errors. We can read and play these in our PC DVD drives using Power DVD.

We are using PrimoDVD to burn @ 1x speed. We have also tried latest Nero version with same end result.

When we place in our set top DVD players it simply says no disc.

Mine is a Sony 526D with software region free which plays copies from my friends DVD A03 fine so we know their is no issue there.

My friends set top box is a Sony DVPS which also plays copies from firends DVD A03 writer just fine.

We are new to DVD burning but have gone through a quick learning curve with the DVD A03 burning friend - but he has not really had problems so is unable to help us much.

Can anyone make some suggestions on what might be best to try next as we are drawing a blank on this one.

Thanks

KeZ
    MSN & Email = ch33kym0nk3y@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. have you tried to burn and play dvd-r disc's?
    if not, are you sure the dvd players are capable of reading dvd-r/w?
    get an apex dvd player, they can read anything-cheap assed to boot.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you actually read his post.

Craig
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yeah

The copies were DVD-R discs from the A03 and played fine.

I'm pretty sure the Setop boxes is not the issue here but we are doing something wrong in the burning phase.
    Quote Quote  

5. Hi Kez!

Not sure whether you've tried these but here are a few tips that I used when I got my 104 ..... :

- If using PrimoDVD make sure you download the latest 'engine' file to update the application.

- Personally, I've had nothing but stress from PrimoDVD so I just use Nero 5.5.8.2 without a hitch.

- When burning with Nero, make sure you select ISO/UDF as your disk type when you start. This is very important as most set-top DVD players (Sony included) only read disks that conform to the UDF file system.
    This could be why your PC (which accesses a DVD via the ISO system) can read the DVD-Rs and your players cannot.
    (In fact, the cheaper the set-top DVD player is, the more likely it is to use ISO rather than UDF to read DVDs!)

You may now be saying "yeah, yeah ... done all that and it's still broke!"
    If so then sorry!

One final thing I would suggest is to ask your A03 friend to detail exactly what they do at every stage when backing up DVDs, and then see if you've made any errors.

Let me know how you get on ......

Sue xxx
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks - I will try this tonight on it and report back. Interesting both mine and my friends DVD are Sony and what u are saying is consistent to the problem at hand.

Will try Nero too. We also found out that the VIDEO_TS directory was in the root as lower case (video_ts) - would this make a difference when wrote to the DVD media in set top boxes (does it absolutely have to be uppercase to work).

Thanks again.

KeZ
    ch33kym0nk3y@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So which should be the best option to use when using nero? UDF, UDF/ISO or the DVD Video option. I've tried to use DVD created using the DVD video option but it doesn't work on my standalond DVD player....but DOES work in my 3 y/o DVD- ROM drive...
    Quote Quote  

8. I'd stick to the ISO/UDF option bartman .... never fails me!

Kez - the case of the VIDEO_TS folder shouldn't matter, but I'd suggest making it uppercase just to be on the safe side!
    (Nero should sort it out but you never know!!)

... ah, that reminds me ..... many DVDs have just a VIDEO_TS directory.
    When burning back to DVD-R, I have found that putting an empty AUDIO_TS directory next to the VIDEO_TS will ensure complete compatibility - just a thought! :P

Good Luck ! ...... Sue xxx

Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (does it absolutely have to be uppercase to work).
    To meet DVD specifications, the answer to this is "yes". Some players "enhance" the spec and will also read disks with lower case. Your Sonys obviously will not.

In NERO, use the DVD-Video template, ISO LEVEL 1, NO JOLIET, ISO 9660 Character set, and absolutely NO relaxation in ISO restrictions. Load your files and burn. NOW you should have a playable disk.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SLK001,
    No dice.....I'm going to try some different media and see where that gets me.

I'm just wondering why my player is rejecting the disk. Is it not reflective enough or the dye invisible to the laser? If so a different brand blank may help....or could it be something else. Is there information in the pre-burn area that my player doesn't like....or understand. Maybe a firmware update would fix this (if there were such a thing for the DVD570M ).

Why can't there just be a bloody standard like CD,CD-R etc..
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK - thanks for everybodys help.

I did a number of things and managed to cut complete single layer disc copies that worked in both my firends Sony and my Sony set top boxes on BOTH types of media R/W and Generation 3 R.

We changed the VIDEO_TS to upper case and did a total format (not quick) of the RW disc and success.

We then ripped another and burnt another to a Generation 3 datasafe disc and again worked in both players.

The movies we started with were THE WEDDING SINGER and GROSSE POINT PLANK - sound, sync and picture quality all look dandy.

Thanks again for all your help people.

KeZ
    ch33kym0nk3y@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  12. using nero i could never get a clean wipe using 5582,they say
    if u use 5590 that fixes the problem
    Quote Quote  
  13. We still had further issues even after a couple more burns - every time we ripped certain DVDs they tripped at writing phase so we did the following things and now seem much better and more reliable.

1. Patched DVR104 to 1.2 RPC free
    2. Went into setting under Movie in Smartripper and turned on all checkboxes excetpt low diskspace and set chunk files sizes to 9000 as we are using XP and NTFS.
    3. Switched from DMA mode on DVR104 to PIO mode (this definitely stopped errors and termination during writing phases)
    4. Switched to Nero from PrimoDVD
    5. Set nero with ISO9660 - turn off Joliet, ISO level1, No relaxation in restrictions as per SLK001 instructions in this thread (using DVD-video template)

Now seems to rip and cut discs reliably - 3 in a row no failures so fingers crossed. Still using the RW discs until sure of process and saves on those expensive coasters.

Once again thanks to all those who helped us in this thread.

KeZ
    ch33kym0nk3y@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote