VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    Gang,

Is there a faster way to rip a DVD than the one I am using. This is what I do:

DVD Decrytpter to rip main movie
    DVD2AVI to create VOB to *.D2V file and separate audio file as a *.wav
    TMPG to encode video and tooLame to encode audio
    Author & burn with SpruceUp

Total time for 2 hour movie:

40 minutes - DVD Decrypter
    25 minutes - DVD2AVI
    15 hours - TMPG/tooLame
    45 minutes - SpruceUp

If there is a quicker better way, please let me know. Thanks.

__________________________________________________ _________
    500MHz - PIII - 128MB RAM - Win98SE - 100GB video HD -
    DVD Pioneer A04
    Quote Quote  
  2. try using the cinemacraft encoder instead of Tmpgenc it re-encodes in real time on my P4 2.0, so a 2hour movie takes 2 hours to re-encode. I can do a superb quality multipass VBR in 6 hours.

I also use smartripper to rip the DVD and demux the audio to a seperate file, that way it just creates the .ac3 file for you while it's ripping ready to import into spruce up
    Quote Quote  
  3. For a 2 hour movie:

Smartripper - 5-10 minutes (depending on dvd)
    Dvd2Avi - 12-15 minutes
    Tmpgenc - about 2 1/2 hours (with a one pass)
    And 2: ~9 minute Nero 8x burns and its a done deal.

15 hours for you with Tmpgenc!!?? whew...

__________________________________________________ ___________
    AMD 1700, 512 MB DDR RAM, WIN 2000 SERVER, DVD 16X LiteOn
    Quote Quote  
  4. >>15 hours for you with Tmpgenc!!?? whew...

From the fact that he has a pioneer A04 and using spruce-up I think he's creating a good quality DVD-R not a VCD like yourself that's why it takes so long,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your problem is your cpu is too slow for video conversion work. you need to upgrade to a faster cpu. I'm using three compuers. Converting 45 min. takes the following times,using CBR.

Athlon XP1600 - 1 hour
    Duron 1Ghz - 1.5 hours
    Celeron 1300 - 2.0 hours

Raw Ghz is what counts,upgrade to the fastest CPU your motherboard supports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks to all you dudes for your input. Much appreciated.

Yes, my plan was to get a new P4 - 2GHz machine by September. That should cut down on the whole process by a factor of more than 10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I noticed a few things right off.

1.You are using the A04 as your source for ripping. Spend the $45-50 and buy a 16x DVD ROM drive as your reader. Turn-off the Macrovision removal since it almost doubles the time for ripping and since your working on DVD who cares about the macrovision. Your rip times could go from 40 minutes to 8 minutes.

2. Use the various IFOEDIT techniques to split the DVD and forget about all the demux, re-encode, remux steps. You bought a DVD burner. Use it and forget about turning well encoded DVD movies into "something less".

3. Switch to Win2K and use the ISO features of DVDecrypter. If the movie won't fit 1 DVD you can quick and easily re-read the ISO image from your hard drive (much faster) and do the demux etc using Decrypter's tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WOWWW!!!! Wonderful stuff, Zam. Great info. Help me out here for a second.

1. Which DVD-ROM reader do you recommend?

2. Where can I find a good basic DVD Decrypter/IFOEDIT guide? The one on this site was a bit over my head, as I believe the author skipped some steps.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. i dont understand why its takling people so long to use tnmpeg. i did lord of the rings in about 45 min and that movie is LONGGGGGG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Salatious1
    i dont understand why its takling people so long to use tnmpeg. i did lord of the rings in about 45 min and that movie is LONGGGGGG.
    It has to do with Processor speed and the amount of RAM (memory). MORE IS BETTER!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. i got a faster way rip the main movie and ac3 sound with smartripper make sure u set file size to 9000 and demux files if they are less tha 4.3gig load m2v and ac3 into spruce up make sure both files are named the same but dif extensions eg movie.ac3 and movie.m2v
    then author disk burn with prassi
    if movie bigger then u got to transcode with rempeg easy as pie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by robboughton
    i got a faster way rip the main movie and ac3 sound with smartripper make sure u set file size to 9000 and demux files if they are less tha 4.3gig load m2v and ac3 into spruce up make sure both files are named the same but dif extensions eg movie.ac3 and movie.m2v
    then author disk burn with prassi
    if movie bigger then u got to transcode with rempeg easy as pie
    rob,
    What do I do if the the main movie is greater than 4.3GB? So I can fit it on one DVD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  13. well u got to transcode using rempeg2 load the m2v file in to rempeg then work out how big u need the file to be eg under 3.6 gig then add ur ac3 file so they are just under 4 gig thats what i do just to make sure it fits o yeh u got to rncode and make sure the size is on the bottom 1 i think its 720x450 or sommin like that
    Quote Quote  
  14. What's the benefit of demuxing? Currently, I am just using IFOEDIT to strip the main movie title set (I don't want the menus), transcoding with rempeg2 (if >4.3GB), and then using IFOEDIT to remux the transcoded video to a finished product that I can burn with Nero. So far it seems to work just fine. Am I missing something?
    Quote Quote