VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 51 of 51
Thread
  1. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know why some of you are getting coasters at high speeds, but I burn at 24x all the time and never have gotten a coaster because of that.
    its not about coasters. probably noone gets coasters anymore (unless clicked on 'cancel' by mistake
    When you burn data off hdd its all OK, but problem may appear with on-the-fly high speed copying of existing discs.
    I.e. many people dont have fast enough reading drives, or they have dvd-rom and cd burner on their pc. Most of dvd-roms or cd-roms with advertised 40x (or better) reading speed actually do read at 10-12x only when CD-R is read - i.e. one of my sony dvd-roms was reading CD-Rs at 6x speed only! (yeah, they probably do read at their advertised speed from factory-made silver-pressed discs, but reading CD-R or DVD-R is whole different story). So when you copy on the fly from cd/dvd-rom at actual speed of say 12x, and your burner is set to write it at 24x, what do you think happens? burn-proofing helps for short periods of time, but not when input datarate is constantly much less than expected. It takes very good dvd-rom or cd-rom to have fast enough output (when playing CD-Rs) to copy them at 24x or faster. So far I found very few cd-roms and none dvd-rom to be able to constantly output data at 32x off CD-R discs (i.e. cheap LG GCR-8520B with firmware 1.01 does it, while my previous Asus 56x cdrom barely could reach 18x off SVCD discs).
    I trade lots of discs by mail, and very often discs copied at high speed have tons of errors on them (im talking VCD, SVCD).
    When first 52x burners appeared on the market I knew I will be getting more and more bad discs or discs with many errors, and I immediately added warning on my trading pages that if i find VCD/SVCD copied at too high speed i will not keep my part of trade. There is example of such disc in my trade rules section here http://derex888.dvdripz.org/ it was made intentionaly (cd-r was copied on-the-fly at 24x off sony ddu-220 dvd-rom that cant read CD-Rs faster than 8x).
    See for yourself. Error sections like this show up throughout entire disc.

    I dont say YOU have this problem, but I am sure many people dont even know why their copies have more errors than original discs (especially if coies are made for trade they wont even notice it).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well everyone can say all they want but i have been useing the plextor PX 504a for a week now testing it burned about 50 +R useing only the free program for here and Nero for the DVD and have not had one bad one yet useing also +RW the best i have seen. Dont know why anyone would buy anything else. Cost about $230.00 to $279.00
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tww1
    Well everyone can say all they want but i have been useing the plextor PX 504a for a week now testing it burned about 50 +R useing only the free program for here and Nero for the DVD and have not had one bad one yet useing also +RW the best i have seen. Dont know why anyone would buy anything else. Cost about $230.00 to $279.00
    I've had NEC ND-1100A since January. ND-1100A now costs US$190. The Plextor version is wrapped in a somewhat better package but the drive itself it almost identical.

    Someone might ask: why would anyone buy anything other than ND-1100A?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    Originally Posted by tww1
    Well everyone can say all they want but i have been useing the plextor PX 504a for a week now testing it burned about 50 +R useing only the free program for here and Nero for the DVD and have not had one bad one yet useing also +RW the best i have seen. Dont know why anyone would buy anything else. Cost about $230.00 to $279.00
    I've had NEC ND-1100A since January. ND-1100A now costs US$190. The Plextor version is wrapped in a somewhat better package but the drive itself it almost identical.

    Someone might ask: why would anyone buy anything other than ND-1100A?
    Simply because there are lots of other folks out there with different drives with your same story, and wondering why you bought yours instead of the one they have.

    cheers
    nicw
    Author DVDInfo
    nicw
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nicw
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    Originally Posted by tww1
    Well everyone can say all they want but i have been useing the plextor PX 504a for a week now testing it burned about 50 +R useing only the free program for here and Nero for the DVD and have not had one bad one yet useing also +RW the best i have seen. Dont know why anyone would buy anything else. Cost about $230.00 to $279.00
    I've had NEC ND-1100A since January. ND-1100A now costs US$190. The Plextor version is wrapped in a somewhat better package but the drive itself it almost identical.

    Someone might ask: why would anyone buy anything other than ND-1100A?
    Simply because there are lots of other folks out there with different drives with your same story, and wondering why you bought yours instead of the one they have.

    cheers
    nicw
    Author DVDInfo
    I'm not sure what your point is but I said so because the ND-1100a is a good drive that offers better features at lower cost. Since the time I posted about the price difference of Plextor PX-W504A and NEC ND-1100A, Plextor lowered their price to under US$150 to distributors so that the retail street price could be around US$170, still a bit higher than NEC ND-1100A and other OEM units based on it. Even the retail Pioneer DVR-A06 and Sony DRU-500AX cost just US$200 per unit in June 2003.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Retail MP5240A is finally out in Tokyo. US$200.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    I'm not sure what your point is...
    That was a play on language Kennyshin and I think that YOU missed the jibe. He was making an obvious answer at what seemed like a rhetortical question (which seems misplaced since you are taking it seriously... )

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    I'm not sure what your point is...
    That was a play on language Kennyshin and I think that YOU missed the jibe. He was making an obvious answer at what seemed like a rhetortical question (which seems misplaced since you are taking it seriously... )

    Regards.
    You were wrong since I took it correctly.

    It was no rhetoric since NEC ND-1100A does provide more power for less money.

    You just cannot stop personal attacks rather than concentrating on the drives.

    And I wonder why you obmitted the rest of my post.

    I'm not sure what your point is but I said so because the ND-1100a is a good drive that offers better features at lower cost. Since the time I posted about the price difference of Plextor PX-W504A and NEC ND-1100A, Plextor lowered their price to under US$150 to distributors so that the retail street price could be around US$170, still a bit higher than NEC ND-1100A and other OEM units based on it. Even the retail Pioneer DVR-A06 and Sony DRU-500AX cost just US$200 per unit in June 2003.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    I'm not sure what your point is...
    That was a play on language Kennyshin and I think that YOU missed the jibe. He was making an obvious answer at what seemed like a rhetortical question (which seems misplaced since you are taking it seriously... )

    Regards.
    You were wrong since I took it correctly.

    It was no rhetoric since NEC ND-1100A does provide more power for less money.
    Kennyshin, you are truly a lost cause...

    Please try to get a better grasp of English.

    What I meant was, nicw posted what he did as a jibe (i.e., a joke -- you understand what a joke/humour is don't you?).

    This joke was in the form of an obvious answer to what seemed to be a rhetorical question.

    Your statement:
    Someone might ask: why would anyone buy anything other than ND-1100A?
    ... is phrased in such a way that the ordinary person (or at least, nicw did) would think to be a rhetorical question -- only you didn't mean it to be. This means that your posts contain impressions that you don't MEAN to portray.

    BTW, a "rhetorical question" is one where a statement is made in giving the question. That is in your above statement of "Someone might ask: why would anyone by anything other than ND-1100A" it seems that you are not so much asking the question but rather saying that the particular drive is very good.

    nicw understands this completely. He "answered" your rhetorical question (and hence the humour) plus added some of his opinions as well.

    That was HIS point. He wasn't making any comment on the drive at all but I think you missed that.

    I suggest you phrase your posts more carefully.

    As to:
    And I wonder why you obmitted the rest of my post.
    ... this is simply because it isn't relevant. It wasn't the point. No one is disputing your opinion in that post.. The issue is your continuing miscommunication on this forum and then somehow thinking people are making personal attacks.

    PLEASE read things carefully and think things through before making further posts.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    I'm not sure what your point is...
    That was a play on language Kennyshin and I think that YOU missed the jibe. He was making an obvious answer at what seemed like a rhetortical question (which seems misplaced since you are taking it seriously... )

    Regards.
    You were wrong since I took it correctly.

    It was no rhetoric since NEC ND-1100A does provide more power for less money.
    Kennyshin, you are truly a lost cause...

    Please try to get a better grasp of English.

    What I meant was, nicw posted what he did as a jibe (i.e., a joke -- you understand what a joke/humour is don't you?).

    This joke was in the form of an obvious answer to what seemed to be a rhetorical question.

    Your statement:
    Someone might ask: why would anyone buy anything other than ND-1100A?
    ... is phrased in such a way that the ordinary person (or at least, nicw did) would think to be a rhetorical question -- only you didn't mean it to be. This means that your posts contain impressions that you don't MEAN to portray.

    BTW, a "rhetorical question" is one where a statement is made in giving the question. That is in your above statement of "Someone might ask: why would anyone by anything other than ND-1100A" it seems that you are not so much asking the question but rather saying that the particular drive is very good.

    nicw understands this completely. He "answered" your rhetorical question (and hence the humour) plus added some of his opinions as well.

    That was HIS point. He wasn't making any comment on the drive at all but I think you missed that.

    I suggest you phrase your posts more carefully.

    As to:
    And I wonder why you obmitted the rest of my post.
    ... this is simply because it isn't relevant. It wasn't the point. No one is disputing your opinion in that post.. The issue is your continuing miscommunication on this forum and then somehow thinking people are making personal attacks.

    PLEASE read things carefully and think things through before making further posts.

    Regards.
    That truly sounds like a personal attack. No part of your post is related to DVD-R(W) vs. DVD+R(W) vs. DVD-RAM in any way. You are spending your moderator's time on attacking a person just because you cannot agree.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    LG GMA-4040B (DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM) OEM price: US$130

    LG GMA-4040B Retail price: US$200 - US$250

    Some of the Japanese DVD writer manufacturers are going to give up the market very soon. Buffalo has already gave up Sony.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member dcsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Y No Werk (anagram)
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe we wouldn't buy that NEC because of the POOR TASTE NEC left in the mouth of the American consumer when it used to make COMPUTERS under the brand name PACKARD BELL

    We hated these machines Kennshin
    and NEC would have to bend over backawrds to remove the bad will 6 years of making these trash heaps caused!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    Maybe we wouldn't buy that NEC because of the POOR TASTE NEC left in the mouth of the American consumer when it used to make COMPUTERS under the brand name PACKARD BELL

    We hated these machines Kennshin
    and NEC would have to bend over backawrds to remove the bad will 6 years of making these trash heaps caused!
    I know Packard Bell. I also know the history of eMachines in the US market. Sambo of South Korea also orders thousands of NEC ND-1300A each month to export to the US market under eMachines brand name.

    Whether some of the US consumers hate NEC brand or not, it's the OEM buyers that decide whom to buy from. The major US PC makers chose NEC. And they wanted NEC to provide 4x Plus-only drives instead of the original NEC ND-1100A which could write to DVD-R and DVD-RW as well. The drive was at the US FCC lab in mid-2002 and NEC gave up the strategy to concentrate on Plus first. Those names are Dell, HP, and more. Of course, many of them will choose or have already switched to LG.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member dcsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Y No Werk (anagram)
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know even tho they're re-invented their brand as LG electronics..

    Isn't this just the GOLDSTAR company that makes all manner of cheap electonics in KOREA

    Is the L.G. brand supposed to be a better product? (to compete with the JAPANESE)

    And why are there still GOLDSTAR items are these leftovers or cheaper still?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  16. I give up. Kenny, my last post was in good intent. I was trying to help you understand how your were being misunderstood because of how you were phrasing your post.

    If you can't see help that you need (i.e., a better grasp of English rather than any technical advice) that's offered on a silver platter, then I won't bother anymore.

    Not everything you don't understand is a "personal attack" Kenny.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    Do you know even tho they're re-invented their brand as LG electronics..

    Isn't this just the GOLDSTAR company that makes all manner of cheap electonics in KOREA

    Is the L.G. brand supposed to be a better product? (to compete with the JAPANESE)

    And why are there still GOLDSTAR items are these leftovers or cheaper still?
    Yep, LG makes all kinds of cheap electronics products in SOUTH Korea (but not in North Korea.)

    Some people in South Korea now can buy LG GMA-4040B for under US$150 per unit. LG is going to dominate DVD writer market worldwide by the end of this year.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Inchon, South Korea
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vitualis
    I give up. Kenny, my last post was in good intent. I was trying to help you understand how your were being misunderstood because of how you were phrasing your post.

    If you can't see help that you need (i.e., a better grasp of English rather than any technical advice) that's offered on a silver platter, then I won't bother anymore.

    Not everything you don't understand is a "personal attack" Kenny.

    Regards.
    Technical knowledge of English does not seem to help improve your manner that much. Your tone of talking about other person's language ability is close to mockery, rude and arrogant. Since you said it was to "help" me, I can also say it is to help YOU to advertise how rude and arrogant you are. That was what I meant by personal attack.

    You could always have ignored my posts. You didn't. You instead picked up fights every time you could. That's a job not of a moderator but a problem maker.

    And your English is not much better than many of other posters here, hardly much beyond mind at all. Lose your self-respect a little.

    If you were that smart, you should have admitted how biased you were and how wrongfully you acted in the past whether it was out of ignorance or prejudice.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Kenny, you are beyond hope.

    I was trying to explain to you how you posted a rhetorical question without realising it. Obviously, you prefer to believe that by attacking me you vindicate yourself. Well, if that is your take on life, so be it.

    Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Kennyshin
    LG is going to dominate DVD writer market worldwide by the end of this year.
    With all due respect I must disagree,I think it will be more like Sony,Pioneer,,,,,LG.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads