VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I have made a few home VCDs, but I cant get them to play on my DVD player. The model says it wont play CDRs, but I assumed that that was just something that the manufactor put on their dor show. I know it works because I tried it on my friends DVD /w VCD and it played fine. Why is this, can anyone help me. Could it possible be the CDR itself? Any help is appreciated.

PS. BTW, what is the difference, if any (I dont mean legal differences) between VCDs I make at home, and the ones some people buy from foreign countires.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't state which player you had, so if its a case that your DVD Player will not play VCD's, CD-R's or only special layered CD-R(W)'s is not possible to check upon.

In simple terms the difference between manufactored and self-made VCD's is the burning process. Commercial VCD's are made from a Master and then pressed (very similar to how they used to make vinyl records... you know those black round things 15 years ago ), but selfmade VCD's you make on a CD-R. This is done by shooting a laser on a photo-sensitive layer - that is then shaped in a special way and cannot be altered (Before experts start cruxifying me and stating that it burns digitally by this and that...I am explaining this in simple terms so that the non-experts can understand!!)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Just wanted to say I'm glad someone else is old enough to remember vinyl!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL @gambit32 ... and guess what, I still listen to them as well
    Quote Quote  
  5. rere puts on neil young.. (live rust) ahhhhhhhhhh..........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Actually I love vinyl. I own some DJ equipment and when I went to buy it the sales guy tried to sell me on the CD "turntables" and I almost choked. I thought it was sort of sacreligous to even suggest it.
    . o 0 0 (how off topic can we get?)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    OK, back to the basic. Some DVD players don't accept CDR and some do. So yours doesn't and your friend does. You should agree with the manual of your player. When it says that the player doesn't play CDR then it won't play CDR. Simple enough?

By the way though your player doesn't play CDR it may play CD-RW as most players do but you must have the right CD-RW. Try Mr. Write 4X CD-RW. I found that most players play this brand CD-RW.
    Quote Quote