VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey folks:

I'm trying to rip sleepy hollow dvd with dvd2svcd

i ran bitrate viewer on the vobs and it showed dcp type:field (not frame)

(according to the guide i should uncheck both zigzag and progressive frames in advanced cce options but should i really? because

further down below bitrate viewer said -scan order -zigzag and frame typerogressive

What should i do?

Thnx!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your not sure whether its progressive or not load your vobs into dvd2avi and preview them. Let it get past the opening credits and into the movie. If it shows %95 or higher film and stays steady at that then your film is progressive, so check that tab as well as the zigzag scan order. In the dvd2avi tab (in DVD2SVCD) under NTSC Field Operation check forced film on or Automatic.

If it shows anything else then uncheck both of these boxes and in the dvd2avi tab (of DVD2SVCD) under NTSC Field Operation check either Automatic or IVTC (slow as hell.) If you want to just keep your video interlaced and lose some quality than check No here.

I think your video is probably progressive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm quite sure that every DVD movie is progressive so check linear and zigzag for better results!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are many non progressive DVD's out there in both PAL and NTSC
    format. It always pays to check with DVD2AVI as Adam suggested. You can, however, leave progressive frames activated all the time, just
    deactivate zigzag (if creating SVCD or CVD) and select SmartDeinterlace
    if necessary.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also SonGoku, not sure if was just a typo or not but linear/non-linear quantization is another setting entirely. If encoding in mpeg2 you should always use non-linear quantization. With mpeg1 you don't have a choice, its limited to linear.
    Quote Quote