VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    does anyone know a quick way to re-encode a long dual layer film to a dvd-r? i've found it takes about 18 hours to do this. is there a quicker way? and what programs and settings should i use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Get a faster PC
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are plenty of ways, it's pretty lengthy to get into here but if you email me at buckohnine@aol.com i can talk with you about it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is no quick way to transcode a DVD. Use REmpep for the transcode. On my Athlon XP1600 it takes 2 hours to transcode 45 minutes. So a 2 hour movie probably 5-6 hours. AMD XP and Duron are at twice as fast as a comparaable Intel.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by wulf109
    AMD XP and Duron are at twice as fast as a comparaable Intel.
    2x? Really?

I'll leave it to others to question the veracity of that statement.
    As Churchill famously predicted when Chamberlain returned from Munich proclaiming peace in his time: "You were given the choice between war and dishonor. You chose dishonor, and you will have war."
    Quote Quote  
  6. my amd tbird is faster than my p4 tbuird is a 1.4 and p4 is a 1.9 and cost a £100 more fu*kin" con pentium is i just use the p4 for the internet now i dont rate them atall
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, the speed question... there's a MUCH faster way. Buy the original. ...yeah, essentially, transcoding is slow, even on a good fast machine. Deal with it. We aren't supposed to be able to do it at ALL, the way the technology is designed. I run a fast machine, and Brotherhood of the Wolf (DVD screener) was still an overnight job for it. (8.8 gigs to 4.3 gigs)

As to the AMD vs Intel question... someone's been reading too many advocacy newsgroups and forums. The difference is narrower than you might think. AMD's processors have a higher failure rate, but do run faster in terms of raw sustained processing speed. (This is setting aside cache bursts and other deceiving speed indicators on BOTH sides.) If you buy from someone who won't mind returns, go AMD... and get the extended warranty. There are also incompatibility issues with AMD, but they are minor and there are workarounds, so anyone using this forum is probably of a skill level where they could surmount those speed bumps.

The Mac G4 flattens either one without needing half the clock speed anyway, so it's largely immaterial.
    -MPB/AZ
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a AMD XP 2000+..512Megs DDR 333 RAM and 2 40 gig Maxtor ATA/133 hard drives in RAID 0...takes me 4 hours to run through Rempeg
    Quote Quote