VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im about to purchase the dazzle usb mpeg 4100 card. i wanted to ask anybody here how it works for them. i've heard great things like it can record on-the-fly to mpeg1 and mpeg2. dazzle's specs don't really answer my questions. is it flawless? please share with me.

thanks!
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    by the way, i have a p2-300mhz system with 384 mb of ram, win98se, and a few ide and fast scsi drives that can handle ~6MB/s

thanks!

also, does anyone have linux drivers for the dazzle 4100?

THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sign of life anyone?
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sign of life anyone?
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been reading about the Dazzle line of cap hardware and I've heard many people complain about the USB version of the DVC II. I don't know if the 4100 is any different. Most recommendations I've seen have been for the PCI models of their cards.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Oh, you can click on the Capture Cards on the left here to see some reviews of capture cards including Dazzle USB.
    You can see it for yourself. In summary, users are unhappy with the Dazzle USB.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmm

ok. thanks for your advice. i had looked at the comparison chart, but people speak in ways that charts can't communicate, so i always look for verbal advice as well. thanks.

tell me this. if the dvc2 says it can encode with 10Mb/s, does that mean that to take advantage of that i need a faster hard drive than i would for 5Mb/s?

also, if a card is not an mpeg2 compressor card, then i would not be able to record and burn directly to svcd...correct?

so much to know before i splurge!

thanks
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I have read in this forum as well as others is that people who use the DVCII can capture Mpeg2 on the fly but then have to run the mpeg through TMpegenc to make an SVCD compliant mpeg2 stream. This takes much less time than compressing an avi stream to mpeg2 (one person said it took 7mins to do a 1hr stream.) Also you can capture Mpeg1 on the fly as well but I heard that the quality is much worse than capturing a stream as AVI and then encoding to mpeg1 using Tmpegenc.

I think I'm in the same boat as you... I'm looking to buy a capture card that does hardware Mpeg1/Mpeg2 encoding that would allow me NOT to have to spend any time encoding afterwards. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no good (or cheap) solution to this problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    me thinks i may just wait a few months before getting into capture again. i'll just spend my time with ripping for now.

i have a firewire card...two in fact..(free @ circuit city =) perhaps in the near future there will be a firewire capture device? i see no limitations on quality for that....unlike those usb capture devices.

woo hah?

this is hardcore
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-02 11:45:16, statuspending wrote:
    by the way, i have a p2-300mhz system with 384 mb of ram, win98se, and a few ide and fast scsi drives that can handle ~6MB/s

also, does anyone have linux drivers for the dazzle 4100?
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

first, if you enable DMA transfers (assuming your stuff is compatible) your disks will likely handle more than 6Mb/s

the chances of finding linux USB drivers are slim. there's some USB code for linux floating around, but it's not real common
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this is true, but redhat 7.2 is supposed to have a lot more support for linux when it comes out. i wish these mfr's would just write some linux drivers themselves. there are so many programmers out there, many writing programs for windows, that also have experience with linux.

anyways, corporate decisions... eckgh

i have never been able to get ide burners working with dma enabled.. that's why i went to scsi for my cd burning. now that you mention it though, i don't think i ever re-installed the drivers for udma-33 =\

thanks

this is hardcore
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote