VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It's all very well people offering their help in these forums but if you are not familiar with the platform you are helping with don't respond, you'll end up confusing people more than they were.

I've just read a post from a guy saying that DV file on a Mac has a .avi extension.

Mac's don't need an filename + extension. We only have to add the .whatever so the windows OS knows what they are!

By all means help with the bit that you know about but don't go making it all up.
    Take me drunk, I'm home.

'The Internet is a fad ... it's not part of our core business'
    - Bill Gates 1997
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To correct you, everybody's friend the resource fork is used instead of the 3 letter extention used on winblows machines.

But since we now have the blessing known as Darwin...sadly a second employee was hired. Now in X the three letter extention is used almost as often as the resource fork (.app on applications, etc.). But to fool you, Apple pulled the same card Microsoft did in win2k and made it so those 3 letter extensions don't show up.

Now the extensions are still used with QT because it makes it more convienant (at least it doesn't open up the wrong extention *cough* WinblowsMP). Such extentions are .dv .mpg .mpa .mpeg .mov .avi .swf .aiff .mp3 .aif .wav. Now to the DV video. If you wanted to play with it, you could put a DV stream in a .avi container...but the question is why?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!