VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently purchased a DX-11 Macrovision decoder (S-Video / Composit) and got strange results.

I want to convert all my VHS tapes to DVD fromat and found that the colors saturation was too strong on many films. I hooked up my DX-11 thinking that this filter would clear up the problem.

With the device turned on, the problem is even worse. The color signal is boosted and it just palin sucked. I turn off the device and the color is reduced to previous levels.

I managed to get a fairly good copy by using Pinnacle Studio 7 controls to reduce color saturation and boost brightness.

I checked the tape/box and didn't find anything about the tape including Macrovision. Could it be possible that the tape didn't include Macrovision and that's why the device didn't work? Is it more likly that the tape does include Macrovision but I just wasted $39 on a bogus filter device?

Clue me in if you can.

Thanks,

crjackson
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would suggest getting a tape that you know has Macro on it and trying your box then.

flatlyne2001
    Quote Quote  
  3. I would have gotton the SIMA SCC it works 100% for now and you can adjust the picture settings other than just removing macro. Its around $100 - $160 dollors around the web.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Sima SCC and it works great. The under $100.00 units only remove the brightness flashing and don't work on DVD. DVD uses additional macrovision fixes. The Sima SCC regenerates the interval bar in the video frame and will therfore eliminte any copy prevention.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually it's designed for DVD Decoding to tape. It removes (according to mfg.) both Macrovision types. I wanted to use it in reverse to remove the macrovision from the tape and burn to DVD-R.

The place I bought it from says it will remove Macrovision from any analoge output. I've been looking at my VHS tapes and don't see any trademarks or disclamers about Macrovision protection. I know they used to indicate macrovision on the tape lable. Did they stop doing that, or do I just have several tapes that don't use Macro...?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to finish this thread out (22 years later).

The conversion of over 2500 videos was finished about 4 years later. I was slowly converting video during all that time. I used a Canopus ADVC-100 for the capture work, and I used their included encoding software (excellent btw) to finish the process and produce the files I needed for DVD burning.

I can’t even remember what strange device I initially attempted to use for capture but the ADVC-100 was my hero. I still have it. It still works well, and I recently used it (today). It reminded me of this thread, so I decided to post my final solution as an update.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    2500 videos! Amazing. Well done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by crjackson View Post
    I used a Canopus ADVC-100 for the capture work,
    20 years too late but there is trick where you hold the power button down or something like that and it will turn off any MV detection. This does not work with the 110.
    Quote Quote