VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's my third version of this guide... Just tought I would tell u y there have been 3.. sorry now 4! versions of this guide:

v 1.0-Told u to keep the Q at 7 this caused problems when the first 2 cds were filled then the third only had like 3 mins on it. Bad way of guessing bitrate.

v 2.0-Used a Q guesser. Should have worked except I didn't relise how bad the actual Q function in CCE was... very very inaccurate and rarely worked.

v 3.0-Finally uses a method which SHOULD fill each cd without being too big. I think this is the best method so far. Good luck....

v 4.0-I have now official giving up.. I said at v1.0 I wouldn't give up without a fight, I fought and lost. The idea of gettiong the 1 pass vbr mode in CCE to work like the multipass mode is almost impossible. v3.0 got the closest but the quailty was almost like a kind of vbr cbr. I have now switched to the multipass mode in CCE... sigh... By the way this guide is now kind of useless as it changes very few settings.

well onto the guide, welcome to my second guide. IN this guide we will be using dvd2svcd to create a DVD compliant CVD stream. The reason for not making the usual SVCD with dvd2svcd is that our CVD will be DVD compliant. This means in the future when you get a DVD burner instead of having to re-encode all your movies from SVCD => DVD you can simply drag the files into your DVD authoring program and burn.

This guide could also be used as is for putting 2-3 movies on a DVD-r due to the small file size of the resulting files.

Tools needed:
    Dvd2svcd v 1.0.9 build 3(can only be found in the dvd2svcd doom9 fouroum)
    And a burning program that accepts bin/cue files.

Now the reason I am writing all these instructions out instead of just giving you guys a setup file for dvd2svcd is so that you can make you own tweaks and additions to this guide. You can also edited it to your needs.

Now assuming you have dvd2svcd set up lets get started.
    You will see a lot of tabs.

FIRST GO TO THE MISC TAB AND SELECT DVD2SVCD LEVEL: ADVANCED.

Lets start with the audio tab.

Now your settings should look like the ones below the only changes you will need to make are if you wish to have a second audio channel with some other language. We must uncheck the “downsample audio” check box to ensure DVD compatibility. This shouldn’t pose a problem as DVD players support 48hz audio anyhow so should not mind it on an SVCD.

Next the frame server tab.

Your settings should be the same as the ones below. You can up the strength and radius of the temporal smoother if you have a noisy source, but I find that the default settings do me just fine. I highly recommend the Bicubic resize as the other two option of Bilinear and simple resize make the quality worse and the file size larger.
    IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE CVD IS SELECTED OR YOUR FILE MAY NOT BE DVD COMPATIBLE!

Now lets move onto the bit rate settings.

Sorry, I lost the picture for this part but it wasn't needed anyway as all you need do is keep the settings as they are.

HOT TIP: For advanced users only: If you want the best possible quailty and your movie is below 120mins then choose cbr in the CCE settings and set all the min and max bitrate settings at 2500. This will take up 3 cds (insted of 2) but the quailty will be excellent.

Now lets move onto the conversion settings.

The conversion settings are almost entirely up to you. Here you can select aspect ratios language and de-interlace settings. I recommend choosing 16:9 anamorpic but if you have a 4:3 tele you may find this unacceptable.

On to the encoder settings.

The picture contains the WRONG settings, follow these insted. Make sure CCE is selected, now select video encoding mode multipass. Beside that choose the ammount of passes you would like, personally I choose 1. Then set the image quailty priority at 25. Then go to advanced settings and make sure close all gops is checked.

Now go to the misc settings.

Here choose save settings and save them as something like baker cvd settings. From now on when ripping a dvd instead of typing all this again all you have to do is load this file. Keep everything as is below:

If you are grateful for my guide plz e-mail me and say thanks. Don’t mail me if you have a problem. Post your problems below. Muckians@gofree.indigo.ie

Slan leat,
    Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is a very good idea to have guides like this in the VCDhelp site :P

But I think I have to add someting to this:

The conversion TAB:

4:3, no borders added means:
    the picture will be stored anamorphic, like the original. (some are stored anamorph without black bars on the DVD, some with black bars. This is sometimes called 16:9 anamorph)
    Anamorph means: the picture is vertically stretched. When you have this format on a SVCD, VCD or CVD, then you can only get a correct aspect ratio when you are watching these movies on a widescreen TV set. (In europe the most sold TV are widescreen nowadays)
    Even when the source displays 4:3 (like DVD2AVI does), can mean that the picture is anamorp in 4:3 format stored.
    A few DVD's have actual 4:3 format, but these are just a few.
    So for playback on a widescreen TV, 4:3 no borders added is the best choise.

16:9 borders added means:
    The movie is not stored anamorp in the SVCD, but to preserve the correct aspect ratio, black borders are added. This feature can be used best when you are watching your movies on a 4:3 TV set.
    The Dutchman
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the great guide, this is exactly what I've been waiting for since my SVCD collection is getting huge and I just recently bought my Pioneer A-04 DVD-r.
    One small problem, I am using the most current IE6 and I am unable to view the images on the guide. Is the problem on my end?
    Thanks Again for the great work !!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I too am unable to see the images ... IE 6

My question is are you sure build 3 I have been all over teh forums at doom 9 but have not been able to find a reference to Build 3.

the settings you specify are in the images ...
    perhaps you could put them in as text as well
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everybody. PLease post in Q fouroum as I want as many films as I can get. As for the Images I dont understand whats going on there I set everythiong up porperly but they just arent appearing. I sent a mail to bladrick and he hasn't replied yet. Hopefully he will be able to fix this problem. I am going to try and re-upload some of the pictures.

As for the latest dvd2svcd build. That can only be found in the doom9 fouroms and is a beta build, I just found a bug in it were it sometimes forgets to mux the audio with the video. Since I am unable to go to the doom9 fouroums because of my computer I would appreciate it if somebody would post the link for the latest build here as I need the fix NOW!!!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that small ratio summery but I feel I will have to correct you on something.

When chosing aspect ratio 16:9 encoded as 4:3 with borders added is best as this gives the best picture quailty as there is more bitrate with the movie. see?

4:3 takes up way too much bitrate.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Twatkins
    I too am unable to see the images ... IE 6

My question is are you sure build 3 I have been all over teh forums at doom 9 but have not been able to find a reference to Build 3.

the settings you specify are in the images ...
    perhaps you could put them in as text as well

Images are not present on my IE 5.5 either ? Strange ? Maybe if we go down to baker street he'll get them out of his sax case ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These bloody images are driving me nuts!!! Baldrick still has not replied so I cann't help you. I have tried reloading these images and that has not worked so my best guess is that the fault is at bladricks end.

For the latest beta dvd2svcd go here:

http://212.88.77.140/D2S109B3.zip

Now who says I aint helpful.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    baker: check your priavate msg.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    [img]mcd.jpg[/img]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats strange baldrick,
    You have correctly entered our image name and the img thingy but you arent getting a no picture symbol. There is deffinetly something wrong.

So I guess nobody has encoded a movie using my guide yet as I have not got any replys (apart from my own) in my q settings post.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I added a test image and it worked fine(ogg1.jpg). The one in the reply shouldn't work(mcd.jpg).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Baker,

I'm sorry to keep on nagging about the aspect ratio thing, but I think all information should be correct, otherwise the guide looses it function.

As stated before:
    4:3 encoding is optimized for widescreen TV sets.
    16:9 encoding is optimized for 4:3 Tv sets.

When I encode 16:9 and add borders, the aspect ratio will be correct on a 4:3 set, but on a widescreen TV the movie looks extremely horizontally stretched. I can zoom in on the movie, but then I loose part of the movie at both sides. (and zooming in on a movie is very hard when you use subtitles....which many people do) This is not a benefit at all.
    Please re-read what I have written above..............

You are correct that 16:9 encoding will give a better quality, but this feature is useless for a widescreen TV.
    The Dutchman
    Quote Quote  
  14. I think you have to reup the pictures because when you look at
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/images/guides/98376

you see that only the pic of Baldrick is present
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OKay he said now re uping the pcis. Thanks for the parent directory thing thats helped alot.

Asfor this aspect ratio thing.

Well I am afraid I am going have to be stubborn and annoying.

PLEASE READ BELOW i WOROTE SOMETHING HERE EARILIER BUT WAS A BIT STUPIT.

Good luck and encoding,
    Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to say sorry for that aspect ratio thingy. I will be happy to edit the guide and put your synopsis in. Post it here and I will subsitue it. Make it easy to read and simple.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just mailed the pcitures to baldrick and he says he will atempt to upload them for me.

Nice guy!

Stil waiting for your synopsis on the aspect ratios for my guide.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  18. Thanx Baker and Baldrick , gonna try it right away
    Quote Quote  
  19. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Pictures up but I hope baker make gif or png pictures with less colors but with sharper image quality. And baker be sure to lower case the image name and it should work to upload.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Ok, stupid poster time

This line in your tutorial is what caught my attention since it is what I really want to do with my new dvd writer.

This guide could also be used as is for putting 3-4 movies on a DVD-r due to the small file size of the resulting files.

I got the software you mentioned and did all the settings like in the guide. Now what? How do I add the mpegs I want to use and burn the DVD? I have 6 mpegs from 6 SVCD's I wanted to put on 1 DVD.

Sorry if I sound stoooopid but although I have burned 100's of VCD/SVCD's I just got my DVD writer yesterday and have never used this software before.

BTW: will the quality be the same as the original SVCDS? And will I be able to play the DVD in any standalone DVD player?

Thanks
    Andy
    Quote Quote  
  21. 8) Where were I can download DVD2SVCD 1.0.9 build 3 ,used to make th e tutorial ?
    I find only version 1.0.9 build 2

oooppssss , I find ...Thanxxxxx
    Quote Quote  
  22. Where can you find build 3 for DVD2SVCD

Help will be appreciated

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A few pics are up now baldrick found the problem but I can't fix it.

Ans n e questions you have at 6:00 gmt

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found the image problem and is fixong it.

ANs all uestiuons@ 6:00 gmt

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  25. For the latest beta dvd2svcd go here:

http://212.88.77.140/D2S109B3.zip

Now who says I aint helpful.

Baker[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  26. Ok, I've tried countless times reinstalling the new build 3 beta version from doom9.org forum on two different computers, but I just can't seem to see the "resize to" tab that allow sto change resolution to CVD in the frameserver screen as shown in baker's guide.

It's not greyed out, it just isn't there! Is anyone else having a similar problem? Is there something obvious I'm missing during installation?

Thanks in advance

Please disregard! I reread the guide and while it's a bit unclear it's there: select Advanced under DVD2SVCD level window and that shows various other advanced settings, including option to select resolution.
    hitch
    Quote Quote  
  27. i do not see the resize tab either
    also cant get vcdimage to work
    i am running xp is this the problem
    many thanks
    Doug
    Quote Quote  
  28. i do not see the resize tab either
    many thanks
    Doug
    Quote Quote  
  29. i do not see the resize tab either
    many thanks
    Doug
    sorry this is reated dont know how it happend and cant delete copy
    Quote Quote  
  30. I'm running windows 2000 (both computers) so maybe it's a related issue.

Haven't tried CDImager so don't know about that.
    hitch
    Quote Quote