VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i have decided to rent the friends tv series on dvd and convert them to SVCD however i want to get 4 episodes on 1 cd which works out to an average bitrate of just 989 how bad is this going to be or will i get away with it as the action is low ???

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    YIKES - that is low. I personally found that anything below 2.000kb/s in SVCD is not worth it. Then, you might be better off going to VCD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've gotten excellent quality SVCDs going as low as 1300 using CCE and 3-pass VBR with a DVD source. Of course, with a lesser source, YMMV - DV seems to tend to need more bitrate than a very clean DVD source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hmm, mpeg2 don't really work well with low bit rate.
    1800 kbps is the lowest I ever get a decent video playback.
    Use the bitrate calculator and find out how low you have to go.
    Oh, You can try SVCD at 480x352 that reduce the file size, and hardly any video effect.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    352x480
    Quote Quote  
  6. dont bother, just go for 2 on a cd and itll look great.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Does ISO or IEEE define which way to go ? H V or V H ?

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-02 11:16:02, Truman wrote:
    352x480
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have got very acceptable results with as low as 1350 kbps video (avg - max 2560), 160 audio on Disney type animation DVD to SVCD conversions. 70 odd minutes on an 80 minute CDR.

At these really low rates, CVD resolution (352x576 PAL) looks good, and certainly better than VCD.

I'm lucky that my DVD player (SAST 803) is produced by one of the Chinese manufacturers that was developing the CVD standard, so it recognises the disk as an SVCD and happily plays the (non-SVCD) standard mpeg2 datastream.

Great for the kids.

regards,

jr
    Quote Quote