VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8
FirstFirst ... 6 7 8
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Basicly, you need to learn how to set the input aspect ratio correct on the encoder and output it also correct. You have messed up things and settings on the encoder.
    Read the guides, the manuals and do a forum search. Those things needs time and you can't cover them in a single post.
    I needed 6 months to find out what's happening myself! And I still learning things. (I just experience the beauty of NTSC VHS tapes for example...)
    Also, keep in mind, that CVD is for the advance fans of SVCD!
    Quote Quote  
  2. JOE - have you tried playback on a standalone DVD player, and have you tried playback with more than one software, and/or a different MPEG2 codec? Does a 480x480 SVCD play properly?

CVD is an SVCD at a res of 352x480. THERE IS NO OTHER APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE. According to the Chinese Spec, where SVCD originated, a CVD IS an SVCD, they conform to the same standard, and by law (in China), an SVCD player must handle CVD. CVD is the OLDER of the two specs.

I find there to be ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in encoding methodology or degree of difficulty between CVD and SVCD.

If you think its great, fantastic, so do I. But to suggest that it requires some additional knowledge or effort over and above that to make an SVCD, that is just plain bullshit and I detest plain bullshit, it needs ketchup.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well, I have searched thwe site again, still no one with this problem addressed in TMPGenc, trying CCE-SP via DVD-SCVD with the CVD guide that sat storm kidnly provided for us all (who like da CVD anyhow).
    I would think that yoou are right about the difficulty, but I've been making X/S VCD for a while, VHSing them, advising people on what DVD player to get and passing aruond copies of all my "Home Videos" 4 free (hey, file shareing is a way of life
    Anyway, SVCDs and VCDs come out looking just fine
    I have even gone into the "Clip Frame" option in advanced settings on TMPGenc, and I can select either full screen (look vertically stretched, which is good) of center custom size, 352x480 (looks identicle, nice and full with no black border). I can load the product into then, god help me I don't know how, but the resultant product contains a massive ammount of black above and below (strangely, seems like about 120 lines each in players (of course this is not displayed on the DVD player, but I wonder if the quality of my image is only 352x240 (though I do realise that all the black dosent wasts hardly ANY bits for encoding, it dose seem to waste 240 (120 above and 120 below) line of quality

OH S IT!
    well, thanks for your help, I just did some tests and TMPGenc opened the file and viewed it (in noise reduction) as 352x480 (which I expected) and then displayed it with the vertically stretched image (which I did not expect). Then when I tried another media player, it kindly showed me what I wanted to see, as I wanted to see it (vertically stretched video active window , and vertically stretched image to match (I did not expect but was very happy to see). Apparently this is a problem (or probabbly supposed to be an improvement) in display of REELONE player.

Well, I'm off to burn all those CVDs I aparently did make ok, thanks for the input though nelson.

and yes, I think it's great, plaety crisp on my non HDTV and much smoother for the bitrate, pluss I'm gonna put em on DVD-R in about a week when da bulk media come in
    Quote Quote  
  4. to all of you who make CVD's with tmpeg svcd templete and ONLY changing audio to 48000 and 352x480.

there is no point in making a cvd thats not FULLY dvd complient.

if you are going to put the movie on dvd-r soon, you better use
    the dvd templete and resize to 352x480, and make the audio 224 kb.
    this way the GOP will be as it should for dvd and you will have no
    problem in using it for dvd later.

i use the dvd templete and

*resize to 352x480
    *make the audio 224 kb 48000
    *on system i choose "mpeg-2 supervideo cd (vbr)
    i change the system type because i had some truble of size being
    reported wrong in nero.
    and that fixed it for me, but it might be just a problem on my computer.
    HELL AINT A BAD PLACE TO BE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If mpeg 2 follows the 1/2 D1 resolution (352 X 576/480) and the proper GOP structure (DVD specifications like short GOPs, 15 for PAL 18 for NTSC), then the Video Part of this mpeg 2, is fully DVD compatible
    The audio part needs adjustment. DVD needs 48000Khz, CVD needs 44100khz. Most players handle 48000Khz on CD, so creating an CVD with -X- audio specifications, ain't a big deal

The multiplexx plays the difference. And that is what determines the same mpeg 2 file as CVD or DVD.

If you burn to CD (so you create CVD/xCVD), you need to multiplexx your output file as SVCD. That way, you have 793MB on a 80min CD-R.

If you burn to DVD (so you create 1/2 D1 DVD), you need to multiplexx your output file as Mpeg 2 (VBR). With BBmpeg you can also choose DVD.

If you rip a CVD to burn it to a DVD-R, you always need to de-multiplexx the mpeg 2 file and re-multiplexx it as DVD (mpeg 2 VBR). Only if you do this some programs gonna accept direct mpeg 2 files to author (example: Unlead products).
    Some other programs, don't accept direct mpeg 2 files, only de-multiplexxed ones. That means you have to demultiplexx your CVD mpeg 2 to m2v and mp2, then simply change the .mp2 extention to .mpa and load them on your authoring program.
    On both cases, you can't skip the de-multiplexx step.

With some new DVD authoring programs, things are easy, you simply through your mpeg and that is. Others are more complicated.
    Eventually, flexible DVD authoring programs gonna appear, which gonna allow the creation of xDVDs really easy. I believe that is more than neccesary in Europe, because of the PAL DVB transmissions (Satellite, Terrestial, Cable). Those transmissions can be used as is as a source for DVD-Rs, but most of the times there are -x- for the framesize. But when those ones gonna turn more than meanstream, then it will be neccessary for applications of this nature to appear. Just look the situtation with the VCD authoring tools. They allow any -x- parameter right now and many standalones are flexible enough to play those -x- discs. I believe soon or later the same shall happen with DVDs. But until then, the safest way for us, the enthusiasts of this hobby, is the 352 X 576/480 way. This is my opinion...
    Quote Quote  
  6. So I started to make my first CVD using TMPGenc (2.56.39) with the exact setting descripted in this forum. While encoding everything looks fine on the preview in TMPGenc, but after encoding I can only see the 2/3 of the left part on my PC . Am I missing a codec in Windows
    On the other way when I make an SVCD I can view the whole picture :P but the quality is not so good as CVD by using a low average bitrate (1150) . Or is it normal that you can't see a CVD on PC without an DVD-player
    Quote Quote  
  7. u should be able to view the cvd. try using a program like powerdvd.
    Quote Quote  

8. hello. ireally have serious problems to burn the cvd.

it was created with a ULEAD mediastudio as mpg2 352*480 from a interlaced 640*480.

it really see good results in monitor. but when i try to burn with vcdeasy i need to disable mpeg compliance i burn as svcd. some times, the result was random blocks in tv.

i have a mitsui dvd-1552 & the result is the same in cd-r and cd-rw disks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sounds as if your DVD player can't handle CVD's - some NTSC machines can't.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If I use AVISynth to sharpen my CVDs, what values should I use? Would it be the same as TMPGEnc's (8/16/24/32)? For example:

Sharpen(0.24, 0.24)

And, where would you suggest I place it in my script? Before or after resizing? Thanks in advance.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody can advise you 100% for this. Try same values yourself and see what you like.
    For me, 8 to 16 is more than enough!
    Quote Quote