VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heyya.

I'd like for folks who know more than me to post their findings on what works and what doesn't in the way of noise reduction of home-made captures. Especially those who own ATI boards.

I'm doing some TV captures, and I'm doing some DVD rips. And there's a definite difference between the TV captures and that. The TV captures, once finally encoded to VCD, have quite a lot of noise compared to the rips.

The capture settings are set to 4.08Mb/sec variable MPEG-2, which is theoretically good, and the Motion Estimation set to 75 (on the good side). The ATI board does seem to do a very good quality, I think this is just a native problem with capturing any NTSC TV signal (there will always be some noise there).

So... now my open-post question. What's the best way to eliminate it? Settings in TMPGEnc? More Motion Estimation?

Let the journey begin...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your DVD source is significantly better than your TV captures. Hense your results. There are external noise filters available. Are you using coax in? S-video in? Composite?

Try this:

Run regedit - go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ATI Technologies\Multimedia\Features\TV\Video

You will see folders for s-video, composite, cable. Open the one you are using for your capture. Now look for "Noise Reduction". Right click it, click modify, click decimal, and change the value from 0 to 1.

I'm not sure if you'll see improvement but it's worth a shot.

Forgot to mention - this is for MMC 7.1

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: next on 2001-07-02 05:53:58 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure is a pain that MMC doesn't have features like this visible on the menus... I'll try that...

Thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  4. for TMPG's NR, i generally go with 5/1/16, but what i found out recently is that you really have to know your destination platform pretty well. i had made some SVCDs that i tested out on my brother's pioneer 525, then i got myself a 343 (newer one), and this applies some sort of smoothing filter of its own, so now some of those discs look way over-softened. but i think you want to stay with a smaller spatial range to avoid too much blurring, and the temporal filtering makes all the difference, especially with my ATI board (128 Pro). you almost always get some high-frequency time-based noise from frame to frame no matter how high you set the bitrate.
    Quote Quote