VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Things to know about this method

It will only work if your SVCD video was encoded with TMPG as well. Therefore, CCE or DVD2SVCD (which uses CCE) encoded mpeg2 video will not with this method. The simple problem with most Panasonics are that their internal VBV buffers are set only at VCD levels (~40 KB). TMPG multiplexers will rewirite a new VBV buffer to its own produced mpeg2 video streams. But it is incapable of doing this to CCE's or any other encoders mpeg2 video stream.

Opinionated statements from here below:

I personally think going through all this is a waste of time. TMPG is a better mpeg1 (VCD) encoder than it is a mpeg2(SVCD) encoder. The Panasonics will play XVCDs. I have tested a properly TMPG produced XVCD with 352x480 res vs. a SVCD at 480x480 res and there is no visual difference, especially considering extra time spent on this method. IF anything the mpeg1 352x480 (XVCD) looked slightly better due to the low bitrate that is needed to fit a movie on 1-2 disks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. if I extract the file with WinISO then it is all green

if I extract it with VCDgear it is messed up too.

lol...any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  3. thx barefoot the one i was trying WAS a pal i did reencode it ntsc and does work as long as ya dont fast forward or search .......sound goes wacky. the quality dropped a bit tho.......i also found re encoding to kvcd works great too with no loss of quality
    I have found with FF and Rewind that sound drops off when you play. To fix this I hit pause and then play again - sound came back.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Art, I had initially tried it with the Simple Multiplex and it was choppy/freezy/unplayable on my RV31. It works beautifully with the Cut/Merge tool (don't ask why!) . No problems whatsoever, including the pause-play audio problems that some have reported here. Make sure you select the VCD Standard template after selecting the file in the Ad Window.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SanderMan
    This trick also works in my brothers sony dvd player.
    What type of sony? One that is reported as only being able to play from CD/RW and not CD-r?

Originally Posted by lyn
    using.....
    SMART RIPPER..then
    DVD2AVI.... then
    TMPGenc....then
    Nero.........
    You would want to encode to Mpeg-2 SVCD in your TMPGEnc step. Then follow:

http://www.geocities.com/newestmoviesencode/dvdvcd

But I here that their is better multiplex results with using bbMPEG instead of Mpeg Tools of TMPGEnc.

REF:
    Truman (moderator) Posted: Jun 19 16:32
    "Prove it!!! SVCD > VCD header trick w/ no quality loss":
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=97930&highlight=prove

Originally Posted by skyj
    i have a panasonic rv31 and nuthin seems to work for me. the svcd with changed header will play...but i get green noise blocks around the top of the picture any ideas??
    Some people would recommend that you run the mpegs through VCDGear 1st with the "fix errors" box checked. See if it reported any errors. But see "rdad's advice in this thread (see below; apears to be some hopefull advice) I hear that the green blocks may appear on the computer but not on the standalone DVD player???

Originally Posted by barfoot
    This doesn't work with PAL encoded SVCD's - only NTSC.
    I don't agree. Centropy's 3 disk Spiderman is PAL and there is alot of talk about using this method for this PAL release. But I have to admit I only got the first disk to work for this movie. The video was good but the sound was intermittent (no sound every other second). I'm still experimenting with that movie.

Originally Posted by rdad
    People, DO NOT use vcdgear to extract mpg 2. VCDgear is really for MPG 1. VCDgear can mess up your mpg2 if you are not careful. Use CDmage or isobuster to extract mpg2 files from bin/cue. Also, never use the "fix mpg" of VCDgear on mpg2 files. YOu will trash the file!!

-rdad
    Thanks (I hope) rdad. I'm hoping your advice here will make a difference. I'm hoping this will lead to a successfull "trick" for Centropy's Spiderman movie.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi All,

Just tried this cool idea! I'm very exited, but not there yet. When I played it on my RV31 the video jumped along and I got no audio (although oddly when I did a search forward I was able to hear a bit of audio).

This MPEG2 was done in TMPGEnc using VBR 2 Pass 6000 bit rate. I'm thinking that might be too aggresive for this technique. I saw a couple of folks said they got it to work on the Panasonic RV31. May I ask what settings in TMPGEnc was used?

Regards,

Peter
    Quote Quote  
  7. Unfortunately, nothing then I tried play in this player ( A-160 )
    Your experiment worked where?
    I try cd-r and cd-rw ( several brands)
    better luck for the other panasonic player owners
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rdad
    People, DO NOT use vcdgear to extract mpg 2. VCDgear is really for MPG 1. VCDgear can mess up your mpg2 if you are not careful. Use CDmage or isobuster to extract mpg2 files from bin/cue. Also, never use the "fix mpg" of VCDgear on mpg2 files. YOu will trash the file!!

-rdad
    How do we open the files in CDmage? It gives options for different M2 (mpeg-2) tracks (e.g. M2/2352 track with Q or P-W subs; or 2368 or 2448....) How do I know which one of these are correct for the Centropy Spiderman movie????

How can you correct for errors without VCDGear???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cider
    As for my 'original' Invader ZIM SVCD, it did play with one MAJOR flaw: Audio and video were too jumpy/choppy to enjoy (I'm guessing the br was probably around 1600-1800 kbps).
    First, why so low on the bitrate. I've just started doing ZIM and I'm using a bitrate of 2100 kbps. With that, I get 4 episodes on a disc (an episode is roughly 11 minutes).

Second, much to my surprise, ZIM can be inverse telecined down to 24 fps. Without the need to preserve interlace, I can make 480x480 XVCDs instead of SVCD. Playback is smooth and crisp.

Also, my panasonic A110 doesn't handle 48Khz audio well (skips and video glitches abound). It can only do 44.1Khz. When I make this change, I can make playable SVCDs, but any attempt to FF,REW, or pause just corrupts everything.

Using the trick that started this thread, I can get pause to work, but FF and REW still fail.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I see the guy calling this the "90min pseudoSVCD " method.

Does that mean others are having the files come out too big to fit? What to do about this? Do I have to start splicing movies? Please help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anyone know if it will work on a Panasonic DVD Home Theater Sound System Model No. SC-HT80?A VCD or a SVCD,only have CDRW ,so no DVDRW.So anybody please answerme because I want to see some movies there and I have a little Hard Drive,and my PC is a little slow so I don't want to convert all that for nothing,thanks anyone who answers
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a PANASONIC XV10 and using Cut&Merge /w VideCD (Standard) output worked very well for me. I have tried 3-4 Titles and so far I haven't seen any problem's.
    My only problem is that VCD doesn't have chapters, so I'm trying to split tho original MPEG2 to smaller MPEg1's that still all fit into a CD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi All,
    I've tried both suggested methods (using MPEG Merge/Cut and MPEG Multiplex) to creat a burnable SVCD file. Using Nero and un-checked compliant VCD. Video looks great on my player (Panasonic RV-31), but the audio is very choppy.

Anyone with any other tricks or suggestions? I've also tried to create XVCD, but have been unable to use TMPenc to create the file.

BTW, the MPEG2 files I've used in testing were created using ATI All-in-Wonder 128 video capture. Video captured @352x240, 29.97fps, vbr of 3,200,000. audio captured @ 44100Hz, 128Kb.

Any suggestions or advice to cure the choppy audio?

TIA and regards,
    wumpus.....
    Quote Quote  

14. i have the rv31, and try to make the same process with an
    mpg2 svcd (final fantasy), but at the end of the process, i
    cannot see anything in mi pc. And if i burn with nero (video CD)
    i see the video but only a few seconds, without sound, then
    the problems begin.

i dont know what the proiblem is, but i imagine that the audio (mp2 128 kbps) is to poor for the video.

Please help
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have a Panasonic A160 and I tried this trick and it ALMOST worked.. The picture comes up in SVCD quality but looks like its in slow motion (but very clear) and the sound is very jerky (cannot understand sound its that bad)... any ideas guys/girls ??
    Quote Quote  
  16. Hi,
    I wonder if anyone can help me on this also....I have managed perfectly well to insert svcd film into vcd header, BUT on some of my svcd's the multiplex stage on tmpgenc sometimes fail with "xxxxx packets buffer underflow" and the mux fails at that point (sometimes this may be 7 meg into film, or hundreds of MB, depending on film).
    Is this a case of incorrect film type (i.e. should I re-encode to pal or ntsc, or vice-versa), or a case of duff svcd file (even though they play perfectly well with no synch probs or glitches).
    Please help.....DEANO72
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

Just used this technique on my RV31 with fantastic results !! Did testing with a Divx of Jurasic Park 1 using both the VCD and the SVCD "fooled ya" method and there is a marked difference in the video quality.

There is very little difference in the VCD and the SVCD encoding process for me.

In both, I extract the audio to a wav file using virtualdub.
    Then encode the ENTIRE movie using tmpenc and in this case, selected the SVCD NTSC Movie load since that was the same as the source file.

The only thing I change to this is to set Full Screen (keep aspect ratio) and use slow speed (high quality) to encode
    I have toolame in Tmpenc set to improve the sound as I use the original Divx (avi) file as the video and the wav file for audio.

It completes during the evening, in about 5 hoours later on my AMD Duron 800mhz WinMe PC.

Then I take the newly created large mpg file, then kill two birds with one stone. I load the file into Tmpenc, go to the MPEG Merge/Cut function and cut the file into pieces that would fit on a CD. As I save each part, I tell the Tmpenc it is a VCD, therefore the files are cut AND the header is changed at the same time..

Them take the newly split files, open Nero and tell Nero that I'm burning a VCD, click through the warning mesage, burn the CD, then play them on my Panasonic RV31 with SVCD quality.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ive tried both ways described in this topic.. and when i compare the output mpg and the original.. the mpg is way uglier.. so its not exactly the same with just a other header..
    Quote Quote  
  19. The trick works well for me on a Panasonic RV-32 (NTSC). BUT: If I burn a lot of these non-standard VCDs, I'm afraid I won't be able to play them on other DVD-Players, because they get confused by the wron header.
    PowerDVD for example doesn't play them! Any experiences with standalone DVD-Players?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by guti
    The trick works well for me on a Panasonic RV-32 (NTSC). BUT: If I burn a lot of these non-standard VCDs, I'm afraid I won't be able to play them on other DVD-Players, because they get confused by the wron header.
    PowerDVD for example doesn't play them! Any experiences with standalone DVD-Players?
    I have tried these PseudoSVCD's on a BlueSky 2210S and a Pioneer 444 and a friend on a JVC (don't know the model) and they work just fine.
    They don't work on my brother's FirstLine 10 DVD ( a DVD imported by CareFour after they stopped bringing BlueSky's. I don't know if they have the same Hardware)

I also have played them on my PC using PowerDVD XP Deluxe v4.0
    Quote Quote  
  21. When I try playing them with PowerDVD (XP 4) I get the error message

"The DVD disc might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation." And it doesn't play. WinDVD works, though.
    Am I the only one getting this error message?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I am not really too sure where this post should go but this thread led to me getting confused. I have an svcd but a dvd player which does not play svcd toshiba sd-k625. I followed the directions but nero gives me the error that my mpeg is too larger to burn. But i thought 800 mb can fit on a 800 mb disc. Well it would not burn neither vcdeasy or any other program. Also isobuster said that the file inside the bin was 700.25 mb but when i extracted it, it was more like 790 mb, what do i do?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey guys

This is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got it to work on a MINTEK-2110 Model

Let me say the way I did:

Merge and Cut
    Video CD (The first option)

NOTE- if you open the file it won't play the video! This is normal! WMP tries to use the MPEG1 codec and it will be black. However this WORKS on the DVD PLAYER!!

Now if only my programs won't crash
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks! The merge/cut trick works for my Panasonic RV31 with both PAL and NTSC SVCD's.

I tried a de-multiplex/multiplex using the Video-CD setting and it works but the audio goes silent for the last 20 seconds of each file.
    Quote Quote