VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi Everyone,

I have a whole bunch of questions and if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

First off my specs:

p3
    800mhz
    87 gigs (27,20,40)
    512 rdram
    ati all in wonder pci
    currently using composite to capture

MY questions are as follows

1) My ATI All In Wonder cannot cap higher than ___ x 240. Now I've heard several different solutions/reasons but I don't know what is true. I've heard that it is a glitch that doesn't allow the PCI card to cap higher than 240 and that it can be bypassed. I've also heard that 240 is the maximum it can cap at. Whcih is true? IF this problem can be fixed, how can I do that?

2) S Video vs Composite: When capturing is it better to use S Video or Composite? What are the advantages/disadvantages? How much does cable length affect S Video vs Composite etc etc

3) Personally I usually cap using VirtualDub and use TMPGenc to convert from avi -> mpg. It usually takes me 40 minutes for around 25 minutes. By increasing processor or ram total, how much faster could encoding get? (In other words, what are the benefits in comparison to cost?)

4) I am currently interested in purchasing a new video card and I was thinking of getting one from the Geforce 4 Ti Family. I've read a few comparisons and it seems that the Visiontek Geforce4 Ti 4600 gives the best results. However it also states "NO Dual-Display DVI->VGA adapter" this is kind of a stupid question ubt does that mean that dual montiors are not supported or no dual digital -> analaog adapters? I'm not quite sure what this means.

Thanks!
    Cooj 8)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Unless you have the older vfw drivers, the ATI all in wonder can't get higher than X x 240 capturing in AVI now.

Use the S-Video connector.

A faster CPU would shorten the encoding time in TMPGenc. You have plenty of RAM. Going from your 800 MHZ CPU to 1.6 Gig should cut your time by about 1/2.
    Quote Quote