VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm having an AVISynth problem. I tried reducing my script file to just one line:

AVISource("f:\capture.avi")

(Of course, I originally had a larger script--this was just to test.)

When I open my avs file in VirtualDub just to see what it looks like, I get this error message: "Avisynth read error: caught an access violation at <hex address>, attempting to write to <another hex address>. This error happend if I attempt to preview the video or scroll through the frames. Interestingly, if I just do "File | File Information" it does show the correct video and audio information for the file being frameserved.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

(P.S. I've done this before on this machine with similar avi files without a problem.)

(P.P.S. Until I solve my problem, I may be able to make do by using vdub as my frameserver, but there is one thing I can't figure out how to do. Vdub has a crop feature with it's filters to get rid of junk at the edges of the frames. This reduces the frame size, and I don't know how to add black borders to restore the 720x480 frame size. Avisynth has AddBorders that does this. I don't want to stretch the cropped video, I just want to add black borders. Is there a way to do this in vdub?)
    Quote Quote  
  2. To add the black border in virtualdub, use the resize filter.

First crop your video, lets say as an example you captured 352x240, and cropped 2 lines of noise. Now the video is 352x238.

Next add the resize filter and set it up as follows:

Set the "New Width" and "New Height" to the cropped size of the video, in this example 352x238.

Enable "Expand Frame and letterbox image"
    Set "Frame Width" and "Frame Height" to add back the lines you cropped out earlier, in this example 352x240.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try opening the .avs file in WMP. this will tell you where your error is--although with a script like that, it should open without a problem.
    AVIsynth has a letterbox command that should accomplish what you're trying to do. if you don't need to resize, you should be able to just use that in the script:
    avisource("c:\blah\blah.avi")
    Letterbox(top,bottom,clip)
    try opening your .avs in WMP, and if you get an error, maybe try adding one line at a time to your script until you get it to work.
    I would try a few different tests, and, if possible, burn on CDRW to test.
    look at the AVIsynth reference if you have any more questions on syntax:
    http://math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/avisynth-reference.html
    what are you askin' me for...
    I'm an idiot!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try it with a different AVI file.

I do 2-4 capture & converts a day using avisynth to frameserve to tmpgenc, and get that message about once a week. The only workaround I've found it to use virtualdub to frameserve the video file that I get that message on.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try bringing the file up and press the Delete key once, then see if you can scroll. Or Mark in, click once in the range slider to advance, mark out, Delete. This often works for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fontomlord,

hmmm, i've seen this "Letterbox(top,bottom,clip) " command before, and
    thought I'd give it a try for the heck of it. Doesn't work!
    Keeps telling me, "I don't know what TOP is" error.

I think you left something out!
    later,
    -vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp, of course you have to replace "top" with a value, namely with the number of pixels (vertical res), that you want to cover with borders. Letterbox(top,bottom,clip)

Here is an example script.
    Code:
    AviSource("e:\dir\file.avi")
    Letterbox(48,48)
    or
    Code:
    clip1=AviSource("e:\dir\file1.avi")
    clip2=AviSource("e:\dir\file2.avi")
    Letterbox(clip1,48,48)
    #UnalignedSplice(clip1,clip2)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    truman,

Thanks. actually, I kind of figure it out (after I posted above)

Below is a script I use now, when I'm encoding "segmented" captured AVI files:
    -----------------------------------------

x="d:\00-00.avi"
    segmentedAVISource(x)

-----------------------------------------

Explanation is in order:
    Ok, as for the "00-" part. You see, sometimes I have to just encode one of the clips, and it's much more easier to navigate to the actuall scene and
    bla, bla, bla. So, whenever I need encode a small scene in one of the
    10 to 15 or less or more segmented AVI files, I place a 01, or a 02, or 03
    etc. But, my maine capture via vdub is "00-00.AVI"
    I hope that explains it. It works for me every time, but I don't know about
    anyone else here.

As for vdub, I just wish Avery would enhance some of it's common,
    repititve actions, ie, "frameserving", so we don't have to keep pulling down
    those menus here and there. I find I do a whole lot this mouse moving
    and clicking when frameseving to tmpg.

I'm still learning AVIsynth's scripting language, he, he...

-vhelp
    -----------------------------------
    For Standard VCD samples, you can jump over to this FORUM's link
    here: VHELP's Samples...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Had the same problem. I had been running all sorts of different video related programs that day. I had some files running in utorrent, I had tried about five different video converter programs that day, I had run three different video players that day. I was running aegisub on top of it. Also had Firefox running youtube, and heavens knows what else was running .

Avisynth started refusing to open videos with access violation errors.
    Started uninstalling and reinstalling avisynth and xvid4psp.... nothing worked.

I finally figured out had that I had my computer going berserk to keep up with me basically. Hit reboot.
    Problem solved.
    Quote Quote