VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Ok, I was thinking of getting the ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro but then I saw that to get best performance you need a PIII. I'm looking for something that would work good for a Celeron 933 mhz processor. I'm interested in capturing high quality videos and also outputting them back to VHS tape. Any help?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Valentina on 2001-08-02 21:50:35 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use the base model AIW 128 PCI with a 733mhz celeron. It works well but it does not have all of the features that the Radeon AIW has. I run the radeon 32MB on an Athlon and it rocks. 352x240 with 2.64 megs/sec. Looks great even full screen on my monitor. And 1/2 hour of video will still fit on one CD in the MPG1 unconverted format.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The best thing for a celron is a Hammer
    Quote Quote  
  4. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    I use the base model AIW 128 PCI with a 733mhz celeron. It works well but it does not have all of the features that the Radeon AIW has. I run the radeon 32MB on an Athlon and it rocks. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

first, what capture features (not gaming) does the AIW 128 lack, and more importantly, why? (if you have a real old AIW 128 PCI 16Mb with the BT829 capture chip that's true, but if you have one of the newer ones with the Rage Theater onboard the capture part of the cards is 100% exactly the same). are you using the right drivers for it? and MMC 7.1?
    Quote Quote  
  5. patrickm - I agree 100%. Maybe it's the box that each card is installed in. If it was me I'd install the Radeon in my more power box and we both know that an ATI card improves significantly with a more power box. Maybe that's it.

On another topic. I'm almost ready to propose some procedures that have significantly improved my real time MMC 7.1 captures. I'm getting what I would consider close to digital cable capture quality real time. No artifacts and no evidence of macro blocking in dark sceens. My approach is extremely counter intuitive. If I get to the point where I feel like posting my results please give them a try and let me know what you think. The same holds true for stevenh.
    Quote Quote  
  6. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    patrickm - I agree 100%. Maybe it's the box that each card is installed in. If it was me I'd install the Radeon in my more power box and we both know that an ATI card improves significantly with a more power box. Maybe that's it.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    that's certainly true, that performance of the card goes up w/CPU, but it's not as if features 'disappear' if you're not >1GHz

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On another topic. I'm almost ready to propose some procedures that have significantly improved my real time MMC 7.1 captures. I'm getting what I would consider close to digital cable capture quality real time. No artifacts and no evidence of macro blocking in dark sceens. My approach is extremely counter intuitive. If I get to the point where I feel like posting my results please give them a try and let me know what you think. The same holds true for

hey, i'd be glad to try it. the only problems mine are having is with "fog at night" type scenes (lethal weapon 4, the scene w/ the boat in the beginning). i have gotten a little better quality by fiddling with the contrast/brightness controls too, but i'll try whatever you have in mind. if you want to private message me and have me 'beta test' it before you post it i'd do that too.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey thank's patrick. The contrast/brightness can work great. Even adjusting the color level can help.

I'm talking about dropping the bottom out of the motion estimation setting and even lowering the search ranges down as low as 1x1 while taking advantage of some of the other strengths of the encoder. Problem is there are numerous variables and finding the sweet spot has been a challenge. I'm finding that as I up the resolution ME settings become less important. High ME levels with high resolutions become overkill and actually degrade the results. They actually tax the encoder unnecessarily. I'm close to the sweet spot but not quite there yet.
    It requires a bit of manuvering.

I just did 12 minutes of the Perfect Storm off of digital cable and burned it. Played my burn while the remainder of the movie was on. I've got an a/v switch and switched between my burn and the actual movie. Very little difference. Like none actually.

Close but not quite there yet.

edit here -

I think I used the word "taxed" incorrectly above. I don't know if you've noticed it but if you drop the ME setting down to zero you'll actually start dropping frames.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: next on 2001-08-03 20:20:37 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-08-03 12:02:27, Haas wrote:
    The best thing for a celron is a Hammer

Hmmm someone has an attitude...........
    My 600 celeron ticks along quite well at 903Mz (37 degrees idle/ 45 degrees after a long encode)
    Not to bad for a cheap piece of silicon
    Quote Quote