VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm making my last few test copies of the 'american president'. I'm using a CD-RW so I don't waste CDR's.

I found that using CQ_VBR 100% gave the best results. Attempts to use Variable Bitrate gave me lots of aliasing around the moving parts.

Motion is set at HIGH Quality

GOP output interval of sequence header = 1 (what does this do???) Why 1 vs 0 which seems to be the default.

Audio is at 44100 at 224kbps

Can anyone make any other suggestions. I'm trying to get a SVCD with the best possible quality on 2 or 3 CD's. I thought VBR would have produced better results. Did I do something wrong there? I used the bigrate calc which gave me an avg 1674 and a 2480 or something close to that max bitrate.

I'm OK with the quality, but I'd like to try and make it better if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone has encoded this movie, I'd be very interested in the settings they used.

Best Regards,

Roveer
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I presume you are using TMPGEnc. If so which version? It has often been reported that apart from version 12 and 12a, the VBR doesn't really work.
    Quote Quote  

3. I am using TMPGEnc12F to convert to SVCD using CQ_VBR 100%, max bitrate is 2500, min bitrate is 1200 with padding enabled if bitrate falls below minimum.

This setting gives me very decent quality SVCD at a reasonable file size.

VBR seems to work, at least from the fact that the file size is much less than the MPEG-2 file generated with a CBR at 2500.

Quote Quote  
  4. I've been using 12h and everytime I try to use VBR it works, but I get a lot of aliasing around the moving parts. Even with motion quality set at high. I'll try 12 and 12a and see if that changes anything.

I put in a CD-RW this weekend and that makes 'prototyping' a lot easier. I must of burned through 25 CDR's making sample disks. That's no way to figure anything out...

Roveer
    Quote Quote  
  5. use 12a...in terms of quality...12a is one of the better ones...but filter might help...also keep in mind that you're going to be watching the movie from a farther distance...any little bit screwup at the edges prolly won't be noticeable
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Like poopyhead I used 12a with setting CQ_VBR 100%, bitrate at 2500-2000 for the SVCD and I am quite satisfy with the result. I play around for months and set the bitrate as high as 3300-2800, but it simply took forever to encode and too much space. The end result is about the same if not a little bit better than 2500-2000.

My conclusion, CQ_VBR 100%, at 2500-2000 is the fastest with the best result. I normally sit about a foot away from my 19" screen monitor to playback some of the SVCD try to look for flaws on the SVCD.

NEE

P.S: I stand corrected TmpGenc 12a is faster at ripping DVD than 12e, or 12f.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no actually 12a should be much slower than 12 e or f
    Quote Quote