VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any way to convert a ntsc mpeg to pal.

I selected the option in nero, but it didn't work, only the menu was pal.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. worked out how to do it, you just use TMPGEnc.

Does anyone know the correct settings.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm in the middle of an pal to ntsc with TMPGe. Will let you know. I went to the settings tab and loaded the ntsc template and the output shows ntsc. It's just 525 lines versus 625 lines for pal. So hopefully this will work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. going from ntsc->pal or pal->ntsc, you can't just change the resolution etc. if you just change the templates, you'll get quite a distorted image, it'd be the same as if you're taking a 352x288 jpg image in photoshop and resizing it to 352x240. if going from ntsc -> pal, you *could* add 22pixel bars on the bottoms making it "widescreen" and preserving your proportions.
    in terms of the frame rate, i've never done it myself so i'm not sure, but i don't think the eye can tell the difference really between 25 and 29.97fps. altho, if going from ntsc->pal, your movie will gain i dunno, 30 seconds or so because of the added frames. with that, i'm wondering if the audio will get desynched more and more as the movie goes on? i dunno, don't do nearly as much vcd editing as svcd anymore...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay finished up the conversion with two pal mpegs. No a/v synch problems, no vid distort. It is in widescreen now however. All I did was load the template in tmpge and left everything else alone. With a 650 or so mb file it took about 3 1/2 hours. Beautiful results.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Been trying to get a clean conversion for some time now. Still haven't succeeded. Just altering the settings in TMPG doesn't do the trick: if you just convert the flic from NTSC to PAL, it appears to work OK, but if you look better, you'll notice that every second, there's a small freeze (this ofcourse because NTSC is 29,97 fps and PAL is 25 fps, so during the conversion TMPG just "adds" some frames every second). Resulting in a rather jerky playback in scenes with lots of motion. Does anyone know how to work around this?
    Quote Quote