VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone tell me what the best dvd-rom drive for ripping is? this is really important to me. i don't think i want one of these 20-30 bucks after-mail-in-rebate thingamajigs that boasts 16x.

for my cdda ripping, i got a plextor 40x scsi reader, and it rips audio @ about 28x flawlessly

for dvd ripping, i have been looking at getting a pioneer scsi dvd-305s. it's only 10x, but suppposedly can rip much better than these 16x ide drives.

here's a link to a review

http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/http://www.storagereview.com/articles/200012/2...VD-305S_1.html

i also heard someone say something on here about it taking them about 10 minutes to rip a 2 hr dvd. is this possible?
    if you can do this, what software, cpu, and drive do you use?

thanks bunches

THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sign of life anyone????
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Pioneer 16X is pretty good. I have Samsung 12X. Its not fast but its fairly reliable and not expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  4. yea... i have a sumsung 12x...it's identified as compaq by my raid card for some reason ... anywayz...it rips really fast...usually 6-8 megs/sec...sometimes nearly 9 megs/sec...depending on the cleaness of the dvd itself...smartripper seems to be the best ripping proggie to use...but i don't really think the proggie actually affects the ripping speed..it's mainly the dvd-rom and if u have dma enabled...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've had the Pioneer 10x and now the Pioneer 16x, and these two drivers rip wonderfully! haven't had a problem, they are super fast and very reliable, i'd highly recommand them!
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks guys for the responses.

i was thinking scsi because when i got my first burner, three years ago, it was a ricoh 2x ide drive. i have never had so many problems configuring a drive before. i also couldn't burn if i had udma enabled. i fear this happening again, which is why i go scsi now. i like ide hard drives, and have never had problems with them.

it has been my experience that scsi drives get better results in almost all applications.

do you guys agree?

thanks everyone

THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. don't need scsi..even the fastest dvd-rom's can't rip nearly the full b/w of ata33..so not really a need...just make sure that the dvd-rom and destination hdd aren't on the same ide cable (i.e. the hdd is a master, and dvd-rom is a slave on the same IDE chan) it's prolly gonna improve rip performance
    Quote Quote  
  8. I thought you were talking about DVD drives, not CDRW drives, I can say that a DVD drive IDE or SCSI shouldn't give you any problems, as for SCSI CDRW, I think it all depends on your usage, either can cause problems and either can work wonderfully.
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    im just making an analogy to cd-rw drives. i have found that i get cleaner throughput without errors when burning with a scsi rw drive.

also, i have a few cd rom drives on my computer, and the scsi ones extract audio better than the ide ones.

so, applying this to dvd-rom drives, i would expect to be able to rip a dvd with better quality if i were using scsi than ide.

that's all....but i have no experience ripping dvds....

yo
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have a Pioneer 305S and it works great, I've gotten it to decode DVD's very quickly, more quickly than faster rated drives. I think part of the speed I get is that the rest of my computer is fast enough to keep up, especially the hard drive. For reference, here's my hard media setup:

Promise ATA-100 Ultra DMA 5 controller
    IBM DeskStar 60GXP 41.0 GB EIDE drive

Adaptec AIC-7895 Dual Channel, Ultra-wide onboard SCSI host
    Pioneer 305S 10X SCSI DVD drive
    Philips CDD-2600 2x CDR (I need a new one, I can take donations)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I've heard from a buddy. his rips dvds @ 8-9x, while many 16x ide drives rip @ 4x or something.

thanks!

damn....that's $100 delivered... =(

oh, for your new burner, consider the yamaha 16x scsi burner... http://www.pricewatch.com has it listed for $128!
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a Creative 12x and with DMA enabled get about5-6x avg ripping speed with Speedripper.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that's not bad.. i could live with that.

i have a p2-300 w/ 384 mb ram, 13 gigs of available ide hdd, and 27 gigs of ultra-scsi hdd.

i still have the problem of maxed-out ide channels.

ha

i think i will investigate some more.

thanks for your replies everyone!
    THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've just started using smartripper on my AMD K6-3 350mhz system with 256mb RAM, using an older Creative 6X drive, and smartripper tells me i average 4.5X to 5.5X on my rips. my Creative 6X drive, DMA enabled, is the master on my secondary IDE bus. my Acer 8x/4x/32x burner is the slave.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just wanted to add that my ripping speed increased dramatically when i swapped my 40-pin ide cable with an 80-conductor, udma/ultra66 ide cable.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey hitechie!

since my p2-300 system is closer to yours than it is to many of these others out here, tell me...

how long does it take you to encode the files after ripping them? am i looking at 2 days?

that's good performance on your drive. high rip-speed/max-speed ratio!

thanks!

THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yup, unfortunately encoding times are directly affected by CPU speed. let's see, a 90 minute movie/rip to a 352x240 VCD with motion search at normal takes about 10-12 hours.

sometimes i get crazy and encode 640x480 higher quality XVCDs, then we're talking about 14 hours for every 30 minutes of the movie, which i'll do in 3 parts, 30 minutes at a time.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hitechjunkie on 2001-07-05 12:09:14 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    plextor is the ONLY drive to go with.....
    Job security is knowing 99.9% of the world is full of PiN HeadS!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ya see, i totally agree with that for cdda.

100% i have never seen a cdrom comparable the PSTX40 yadda yadda.

HOWEVER...

plextor doesn't make any dvd-rom drives yet. at least, none that have been released in the united states. they are supposed to be coming out with a 24x burner this early fall/late summer that has "dvd options" whatever those are.

check http://www.cdrinfo.com for more information yo.

THIS IS HARDCORE
    Quote Quote