VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    This might sound off topic but please bear with me:
    The training centre i'm in at the moment uses dell optiplex gx110's pentium 3 with windows 2000 pro and 128mb ram. anyway the one i'm using takes so long to boot up it's unbeliveable! my compaq duron 750 with only 64mb is faster! It's general performance is also mediocore!
    It even takes ages to shut down, saying its saving the settings even though i have'nt changed them!
    There is a big dell plant next to my training centre so everyone in my town has to have a dell so they can be seen as supporting it. my cousin used to say dell pcs are "locked" and that they can't be upgraded i think i agree with him now after going through this.
    Has anyone else come accross dell pc's which are slow to boot or could it be a network problem, or are the pc's that my local plant produces just crap?

Oh, the reason why i'm asking this is because if this pc was faster, it would be easier for me to sneak onto this site without my instructor finding out!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, first I would check for spywares using Lavasoft's AdAware and see if spywares are running during bootup which will slow down everything.

Second is to check for trojan and viruses.

Third is to get any and all the windows updates from Microsoft, i.e. shutdown patches, etc

Forth is to defragment your drives.

Fifth is to check your hardware, i.e. maybe your drive is old, or your cmos setting is not optimized, your ram is running slow, your motherboard may have problem, etc.

The Last thing is if all is not working, partition your drive and reinstall your OS and applications.

OH, forgot, Yes the network can cause problem especially for shutdowns, one problem was improper shutdown associated with network drives, so get your Windows update would solve that issue.
    Quote Quote