VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay here's the situation. I bought the Cybermail TV capture card. I installed the hardware and tried to install the software. I couldn't install CyberVideo. I kept getting an error message that said:
    "Cannot find source file!40"
    So I downloaded some files from http://www.compgeeks.com for the Cybertainment package. The source file message went away. I updated to directx8. Now when I launch vdub and choose capture avi, I get this error message:
    "Error 418 Capture Device not Found"
    Then I click okay and it says:
    "Virtual Dub cannot connect to the desired capture driver. Trying all available drivers."
    Then I click okay and it says:
    "PANIC Virtual Dub cannot connect to any capture drivers!"
    WTF is going on here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a hunch - I think maybe updating the directx8 may have done something to your settings. Try reloading all the software that came with the card again - not the directx8 of course.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Okay..tried that. Now I can't reload the software. I get an "access violation." It starts to install, but then it gives me the error message.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does anyone know what an "access violation" is and how to get around it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, very strange. I presume you did re-boot after installation.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yup..rebooted and I still get an access violation when I try to install. I even switched pci slots so that it will auto detect new hardware and nothing. I still get an access violation. Surely someone knows how to fix this!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually when something like access violations happen and changing pci cards don't help (by the way have you checked that the card isn't sharing any IRQ's?) its the old Windows "last instance before I go mad" trick that will help you.

Re-format - Reload windows and everything else. I know its a pain in the butt - but I can't think of anything else.

Maybe wait a day or two - maybe someone has come across this problem as well?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aldus4 on 2001-07-01 19:10:10 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  8. Okay, now i've gotten down to this error message:
    "Btvid Failure loading Vxd Driver"
    Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  9. @Aldus4: "by the way have you checked that the card isn't sharing any IRQ's?"
    How do I check that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    V-Dub is trying to use the wrong capture card.

Try this:
    Goto Control Pannel, Sounds and Multimedia, Devices. Make sure Windows is only using one capture device. Sometimes a default device, WMDI or something like that, is listed, just disable it in the properties, do not map through this device, reboot. I had this problem with my Studio DC-10 Plus. Had the same errors with V-Dub until I removed this.
    All is good now.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ gambit32

-->start -->settings----->control panel---->system. Go to the "device manager tab" then highlight the top "computer" and click on "properties" - See that the IRQ box is checked and you can view if your cpature card is sharing any IRQ.

what disturbed1 wrote sounds very promising - try it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. @disturbed1...I tried that but now I don't even see my capture card. All I see is the default capture device, WMDI. Can I remove that from my system without causing any harm?
    @aldus4...I saw what you were talking about, but wasn't sure what to do from there. Plus I didn't even see my capture card. Say I somehow do manage to get my card reinstalled and it is sharing IRQ's...how do I change it?
    What if switch some of my cards around to different pci slots, will that change anything? I'm so pissed, this was supposed to be easy!!
    Anymore ideas anyone?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually find the easy things problematic <grin>

Anyhow, if you can't see your capture card in your system settings then it is basically not installed (from the computers point of view that is). You have to re-install the software etc. Some software/device drivers requires you to remove them before re-installing. So go to Add/Remove Software and see if the software you installed for your PCI card is listed. If so - remove it. Then reboot and windows "should" recognize it, and you can reinstall the drivers etc.

Before carrying on with IRQ settings we will have to find the card first - ok?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aldus4 on 2001-07-02 17:39:05 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  14. Okay...I'm headed home to see if this works. Thanks for all your help...aldus4 and anyone else that's contributed!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to inform you of the worst possible scenario - and that is if all fails, you'll have to re-install windows itself. And start from fresh

Hope everything goes well
    Quote Quote  
  16. Aldus4 I forgot to ask, do I have to completely reinstall windows? Or can I just reinstall over windows and keep my old files when it asks?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot to ask what system you are using?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. This may sound subjective, but I have found over the past few years, that if something in the configuration goes wrong in windows, the only way around it is reloading everything. Just trying to reload windows and keep system settings or whatever doesn't work. You can of course try it out. But from my experience, its better to take out all your cards and extras, reformat and reboot and reload windows. A lot of work, I know. If you choose to go this way, install one thing at a time, and after everytime - re-boot. Always reboot.
    Quote Quote  
  19. AARGGHH! I think I'm going to have to go that route. Damn.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're not alone - we've all been down that route...some of us many many many times <grin>
    Quote Quote  
  21. A trick to try....

Reboot into Safe mode...As the computer beeps when you reload try repeatedly tapping F8 to get to the menu.

Once in safe mode you can go to Devices and actually see all the devices loaded (something you can't do in Normal mode). You might find your capture card there and remove it. This would clean your system off a little better to reload the drivers.

Good luck. Worse case I always find reinstalling my system a monthly chore. In this experimental world who doesn't
    Quote Quote  
  22. I finally got my system squared away. Whew! I reinstalled windows and all my little gadgets. Funny thing is that after all that, my NIC went kaput. So I gave it a proper burial and bought a new one. THEN after that, I lost connectivity. It was one headache after another. I finally got back on after about a day and a half. I'm up and running as of today and actually did my first capture. I did a little two minute clip. I dropped two frames out of about 2030 frames. I think that's good...or is it? I used Vdub. I didn't have any sound, but I remember reading a fix on that somewhere here. I'll search for it later. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped...aldus2, ramiss and disturbed1.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Less than 1% dropped frames - exxxxxxxxxxxxcccelllent
    Quote Quote  
  24. I thought that was a pretty good rate of frames vs dropped frames. Oh yeah, thanks to whoever posted the Cybermail card specs and links!
    Quote Quote