VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello guys,
    sometimes ffmpeg doesn't seem to be able to convert 10bit or 16 bit sources to proper 8bits.
    The x264 files seem to be only flagged as 8bits but are still recognised as 10bits by my authoring software (tmpeg authoring works)
    Even if I apply an additional -vf "format=yuv420p" before the -pix_fmt yuv420p it's still not recognised compatible in my bluray authoring software. When I index it with avs and do ConvertBits(8).Converttoyv12() it works perfectly fine.
    But indexing with AVS just for a simple ConvertBits seems a bit weird so me. I would rather just move files into my cmd batches.
    Maybe its just a flag which has to be set in ffmpeg.
    So I'm curious have you guys ever heard about an 8bit assurance command in ffmpeg? Which converts from 10 to 8 if necessary or if already 8 flags it properly as 8 if flagged wrong or not flagged at all.
    I can't find anything except the posts which say -pix_fmt yuv420p always converts to 8 automatically but that is proven to be wrong
    cheers
    -Gwar
    Quote Quote  
  2. Would you like to post a small sample of such a video here? (flagged as 8 bit in mediainfo, but real 10 bit).
    Quote Quote  
  3. "-pix_fmt yuv420p" works fine here to output 8bit content.
    What does your whole ffmpeg command line look like?
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  4. Media info doesn't show Bitdepth here.
    When moved into commandline directly and encoded with
    Code:
    -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v high -level:v 4.1 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 16 -x264opts bluray-compat=1:force-cfr=1:keyint=24:me=umh:b-adapt=2:vbv-bufsize=20000:vbv-maxrate=35000:merange=24:slices=4:b-pyramid=none:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:sar=1/1
    it's flagged as regular YUV12 but when imported in Tmpgenc it's not recognised as compatible.
    When I do the same but index it with avs indexed as FFVideoSource(source).ConvertBits(8).ConverttoYV12 () and move the script into the commandline it's recognised by tmpg as compatible.
    The mistake probably lies within Tmpeg but as I dont know what it is that bothers it, all I need as an additional 8bit flagger somehow integrated into the ffmpeg commandline to solve this weirdness
    sample (YUV422P10.): https://workupload.com/file/vbZNN9YJZFJ
    Quote Quote  
  5. it's flagged as regular YUV12 but when imported in Tmpgenc it's not recognised as compatible.
    Using your command line the output is yuv420p, but the video will also include an additional metadata track from the source.
    Adding "-map_metadata -1" to the command line removes it.
    I attached the output from using:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i c:\Users\Selur\Desktop\test.mov -map_metadata -1 -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v high -level:v 4.1 -preset veryslow -tune film -crf 16 -x264opts bluray-compat=1:force-cfr=1:keyint=24:me=umh:b-adapt=2:vbv-bufsize=20000:vbv-maxrate=35000:merange=24:slices=4:b-pyramid=none:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:sar=1/1 g:\Output\test.mp4
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  6. Encoded here with:
    Code:
    -vf format=yuv420p -c:v libx264
    8 bit, as aspected.

Try this file.
    If it's still not accepted by your Tmpgenc, change the profile level from 4 to 4.2 and then try again.
    You can change the profile level without recoding with clever FFmpeg-GUI.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks guys but both samples were not accepted as compatible by tmpeg . I also tested it with your samples
    Quote Quote