VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I now have the option to get my mp4 video in H.265 (HEVC) and H.264 (AVC)

This is 4k mp4

I post process in Davinci which can accept just about any format ..... and crucially does all its editing & colour grading without touching the raw footage.
    At Render time I typically output (to date) in HD H264 is it's going on-line, and 4k H264 if it's going to be watched on TV or monitor.

Am I better to capture in H265 with the benefits that brings and simply change to H264 at Render time, or stay with H264 right through the process ?
    Last edited by Tafflad; 25th Oct 2024 at 05:34.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Look at the specs, and more importantly - examine and test each option

In theory HEVC should produce better results than AVC at similar bitrates. But is the device using similar bitrates ?

Sometimes a device will have low bitrate or some other quality issues for one of the options. Often it's well know issues - users in that devices' discussion forum might say stay away from using "xyz" and post comparisions
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Tafflad View Post
    I now have the option to get my mp4 video in H.265 (HEVC) and H.264 (AVC)

Depends on many factors but with H.265 in theory you can have 10 bit per component where H.264 probably will be limited to 8 bit per component...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HEVC is better optimized for lower bit rates than AVC. Most decent HEVC encoding guides I've seen suggest that if you go for a CRF below 16 in HEVC when encoding you may as well use AVC.
    Quote Quote