VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been trying to record more moments and my modern cameras just don't capture the same aura as the cameras of my youth.

The problem however is that the video gets corrupted after about 5 minutes of recording on a new tape. This is a repeatable problem with multiple cameras and multiple tapes and I can't quite figure out what's going on. X-Ray scanners at Amazon warehouses??

Old family Canon ZR900 - Purchased new sealed Sony DVM60PRL tapes from Amazon. Problem initially presents itself. Corruption and de-synchronization of video and audio feed. Think to myself, OK... camera was used heavily. Let's get a new one.

Purchase good used condition ZR900, use fresh tape from initial Sony DVM60PRL pack purchased. Recorded some good moments and damn... exact same issue. I'm over it at this point.

Purchase excellent condition, barely used Canon ZR960 AND a different brand of sealed TDK DVC tapes from Amazon. Exact. Same. Problem....... More memories ruined.

What is going on here? Are the tapes decaying? Is there some sort of EMF that's throwing everything off? Has anyone else had this issue? I guess I'll get a Hi8 camera and go fully analog, but the mini DV cameras as so much smaller and more manageable I really don't want to give it up..
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still shooting occasional DV footage with a variety of MiniDV camcorders I have picked up recently off FBMP. All seem to be recording OK on unused and pre-recorded tapes.

My most unreliable recordings are my MinDV HDV tapes from my Canon HV20, with signal breakups and blocky video, a bit like your example. I don't have another HDV camcorder to test what's causing the issue though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you able to post a link to where you purchased your tapes? I'm running some more tests right now. I had an old unused Panasonic tape MFR 2008 that I just did a 60 minute straight record with that showed no artifacting. So I'm inclined to think that I've just had terrible luck with the Sony and TDK tape packs that I bought from Amazon.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The new tapes came with the camcorders; they're probably "old" new tapes like your Panny. I'll check their dates (if they have one) in a couple of days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nightowl3090 View Post
    The problem however is that the video gets corrupted after about 5 minutes of recording on a new tape. This is a repeatable problem with multiple cameras and multiple tapes and I can't quite figure out what's going on. X-Ray scanners at Amazon warehouses??
    In the past, when i was using new DV/D8 tapes, I always first fully FF and re-winded them before use.
    The same i do still when digitizing tapes which are stored long time.

But with multiple camera's/tapes, I assume it is not a DV transfer problem?
    The playback view on the camera(s) LCD is showing the same problem?

The problems look like the symptoms of head clogging.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 21st Oct 2024 at 04:46.
    Quote Quote