VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm trying to capture a VHS with the best quality possible. My VHS only have SCART output. Someone at doom9 forums told me about the passthrough "technique", which consist on connecting the VHS to a DVR, then the DVR (in passthrough mode) to a capture device, to reduce the VHS wobbly effect (I believe it is called TBC).

I only have a Pioneer 545-HX, but I don't see any passthrough options on the menu. Is this possible with this model?

Will I get the same quality with these connection combinations, or will one of them be better than the other? What would you guys recommend?

SCART out -> SCART to composite adapter -> Composite in
    SCART out -> SCART in
    SCART out with SCART to composite cable -> Composite in

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Depends on the quality of the cables/adapters, no one can give you an answer, you will have to experiment yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Depends on the quality of the cables/adapters, no one can give you an answer, you will have to experiment yourself.
    And what about the passthrough mode??
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by eXtremeDevil View Post
    Will I get the same quality with these connection combinations, or will one of them be better than the other? What would you guys recommend?

SCART out -> SCART to composite adapter -> Composite in
    SCART out -> SCART in
    SCART out with SCART to composite cable -> Composite in
    There is no special "pass-through" setting, you just routing/passing the video through the recorder.

All connectors are using composite, so normally they should give the same result.
    But what you should try is to use the S-Video output of the recorder and use that for your capture device, that could possible give you better results.
    Also if your Pioneer recorder will improve/stabilize the image, you just have to try it?

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    Originally Posted by Larsenv View Post
    I've found that the quality of a recording done with my VCR connected to a DVD recorder which outputs S Video is higher quality than if you use composite
    Well yes exactly that is what i am also always doing when recording from composite.
    You would expect the DVD recorder doing a better job separating/filtering the Y/C signals instead of most (simpler/cheaper?) capture devices.
    Also of course combined with the stabilization and optional noise reduction of the recorder it can improve composite recording significantly.
    I have several S-VHS/TBC decks too but often prefer capturing with a regular VHS through the Panasonic DVD recorder.
    Last edited by The_Doman; 19th Oct 2024 at 15:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    There is no special "pass-through" setting, you just routing/passing the video through the recorder.
    I thought it was an special setting, since I've read some things like "most DVRs are capable of doing VHS passthrough..." and such. But, since this VHS capturing technique consist on just connecting a VHS to a DVR, then capturing the DVR output... wouldn't literally all DVR be capable of this so called passthrough? Or maybe I got it wrong, and the passthrough can be done with any DVR, and the TBC stabilization is the thing most DVRs are capable, but not all, am I right?

Originally Posted by The_Doman View Post
    All connectors are using composite, so normally they should give the same result.
    But what you should try is to use the S-Video output of the recorder and use that for your capture device, that could possible give you better results.
    Also if your Pioneer recorder will improve/stabilize the image, you just have to try it?
    Thanks, I guess it would all depend on the cables quality after all, the combination shouldn't affect the final result.
    Yes, of course, I'm usins S-Video to connect my DVR to my capture device.
    And yes, on a first quick test, the image seems more stable, I will do more extensive tests tomorrow. The funny thing is that, my cheap capture device only outputs B/W signal when used with S-Video in a Linux OS (driver issues, I guess), but not on Windows. I does output color on Linux when using composite, but the Windows driver seems to give lower quality. So I will try this to compare:

VHS directly to capture device with composite, Linux
    VHS directly to capture device with composite, Windows
    VHS to DVR to capture device with composite, Linux
    VHS to DVR to capture device with composite, Windows
    VHS to DVR to capture device with S-video, Windows

Sorry for all the details, part of them are for myself, to not get lost with all the different tests xD
    Quote Quote  
  6. No there isn't any special setting, all dvrs (at least that I'm aware of) will digitize the video signal and then output a stable signal on the output. (Compared to say a vcr which will just pass the video signal straight through directly without going via any processing other than maybe going via the automatic gain control circuit that might screw with the video levels if the tape has copy protection).

The "capability" is more about the capabilities of the video decoder ICs in the DVR, where a few contain extra functionality for horizontal stabilization. Panasonic dvd-recorders are most well known for it but pioneers from 2005 and newer (DVR-_30 and newer, the _30 models might differ slighly from the later ones) also work relatively well though not quite as well as the panasonics (though they are a bit more configurable and don't have the issues with bright clipping of the panasonics.) So this model should work well.

The dvd-recorders that don't work well will also digitize the input and output a stable video signal but have video decoders that lack the capabilities to stabilize the input particularly well so you end up with vidoe that's wiggly and/or with video that drops out on issues that might not be any better than the capture device directly (though even some of the pretty mediocre ones might work better than a lot of the capture devices since most capture devices handle direct vcr input really badly.)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the info! What is a video decoder IC?
    Quote Quote  
  8. IC = Integrated Circuit, aka "Chip". A hardware component.
    Video Decoder IC: A chip which does the decoding of the video signal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I've been capturing with different combinations and two different capture devices, this is what I tried (connection from VHS to DVR is always done with a SCART/Composite cable and adapter):

August - VHS to DVR with Composite to Linux
    August - VHS to DVR with Composite to Windows
    August - VHS to DVR with SVideo to Windows
    August - VHS with Composite to Linux
    August - VHS with Composite to Windows
    Hauppauge - VHS to DVR with Composite to Linux
    Hauppauge - VHS to DVR with Composite to Windows
    Hauppauge - VHS to DVR with SVideo to Linux
    Hauppauge - VHS to DVR with SVideo to Windows
    Hauppauge - VHS with Composite to Linux
    Hauppauge - VHS with Composite to Windows

And here are the results:

Another frame:

Here are my conclusions:

The VHS direct connections were just tests. However, the Hauppauge capture has less wobble effect, I guess it has a built-in corrector for this.

I would prefer August -> VHS > DVR (Composite) > Windows over August > VHS (Composite) > Windows, since the image is way more stable. But, I would say the first one has a bit more of detail.

Between August > VHS > DVR (Composite) > Windows and August > VHS > DVR (SVideo) > Windows, I would say the first one has a bit more of detail, but has color bleed compared to the second one.

Comparing August> VHS > DVR (SVideo) > Windows and Hauppauge > VHS > DVR (SVideo) Linux I see almost no differences, but maybe the later has a bit more detail?

I would appreciate your opinions, it would help me decide which option to choose. Here are the samples uploaded:
    https://mega.nz/file/wZZjgaRA#N9ez71ClDjUy6NT4ptw6fG0t6qY-xl6EIM0vGEFjexg

My DVR also has a HDMI output port, would a cheap HDMI capture give me a significant difference, given the analog source and connection from a VHS player and tape? I guess the analog-to-digital conversion would be done on the DVR instead on my cheap USB capture devices, right? Would that improve quality?
    Last edited by eXtremeDevil; 20th Oct 2024 at 12:48.
    Quote Quote