VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to deinterlace a video ,but I'm a bit confused. The video is a movie I ripped from dvd. When I played it on my laptop, I saw that it was interlaced. So, in VLC, I turned on deinterlacing and Blend mode. This fixed it just about perfectly. But when I put the video on my desktop computer, it was of course interlaced. So I did just what I did on my laptop. I turned on deinterlace in VLC and blend mode....and while that fixed the black horizontal lines that come with interlaced video, there is now this weird...banding when objects in the movie are moving up and down. This is what it looks like...

I know that this can happen when you pause a video even if it was deinterlaced...I think. I'm not too knowlegable on this subject. All I know is that when the video is moving, I still notice this.

Can anything be done ? Could I deinterlace it through Handbrake or something ?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard_10-17-2024_01.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	82888  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard_10-17-2024_02.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	82889  

Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In VLC try 'Deinterlace ON' and 'Deinterlace mode Yadif (2x)'.
    If it doesn't help upload a few seconds of your video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    In VLC try 'Deinterlace ON' and 'Deinterlace mode Yadif (2x)'.
    If it doesn't help upload a few seconds of your video.
    the pictures I posted IS with deinterlace on and Yadif 2X. And I don't know how to post a few seconds of the video. I wish there was some way I could just send you the whole movie....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use Avidemix, open the movie, use the A and B buttons on the time line to set the in and out points
    Save it as mkv ( the default)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Use Avidemix, open the movie, use the A and B buttons on the time line to set the in and out points
    Save it as mkv ( the default)
    I think I figured it out. But I saved it as mp4, because that's what the file is. The funny thing is that the quality of the video is both better and worse. the weird banding is gone with played through Avidmux, but the interlace lines are there...no matter what mode I use to watch the clip in VLC.

I'm giving up at this point. Maybe it will play fine if I put the movie on a usb stick and watch it through my PS4....
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The funny thing is that the quality of the video is both better and worse. the weird banding is gone with played through Avidmux, but the interlace lines are there
    Make sure you use Video>Copy and Audio>Copy when you give us a snippet. The new snipped file shouldn't look any different to the original.

AVIDemux should look like this (Output format "MP4 Muxer"):
    [Attachment 82900 - Click to enlarge]

There's something odd about the MP4 you've posted above. Stepping through it, one can see a PPPII pattern (progressive x 3 frames followed by 2 interlaced frames), as if it was Telecined. But it is a cartoon, so I wouldn't have thought it would be. Anyway, applying the IVTC filter in VDub clears one of the interlaced frames but not the other, so then it's PPPPI.

Have to wait for an expert, but I'm sure it can be completely fixed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Telecined source resized vertically without IVTC and encoded as progressive?
    The vertical size of 418 and the VFR is certainly not from a valid DVD rip.
    Last edited by Sharc; 18th Oct 2024 at 09:48.
    Quote Quote