VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    Quick question. Would you happen to know how to rip a dvd but have the commentary that's on it instead of the original audio ? I have a couple of rare dvds that I'd like to archive, but want to be able to have the commentary, as well.
    The ripped .mpg includes the commentary - like other languages - as a separate audio track. It is usually an ac3 stereo 192 kb/s audio track. All you have to do is to select that track with your player instad of the default audio track.
    For example, when you play the video on your PC, right click on it and you should get a menu which lets you select the audio tracks. If you should see only 1 track then the rip or the remuxing was incomplete. When you open the ripped.mpg in MediaInfo you will see which streams are included (Audio #1, Audio #2 etc.).
    Handbrake: In the Audio Tab click Tracks -> 'Add all remaining tracks' to include the commentary track for the remuxing.
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Oct 2024 at 10:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    Quick question. Would you happen to know how to rip a dvd but have the commentary that's on it instead of the original audio ? I have a couple of rare dvds that I'd like to archive, but want to be able to have the commentary, as well.
    The ripped .mpg includes the commentary - like other languages - as a separate audio track. It is usually an ac3 stereo 192 kb/s audio track. All you have to do is to select that track with your player instad of the default audio track.
    For example, when you play the video on your PC, right click on it and you should get a menu which lets you select the audio tracks. If you should see only 1 track then the rip or the remuxing was incomplete. When you open the ripped.mpg in MediaInfo you will see which streams are included (Audio #1, Audio #2 etc.).
    I have to combine the VOB files into an mpeg first, right ?
    Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Spottedfeather View Post
    Yes.
    And don't forget to include all audio tracks in Handbrake for remuxing rather than picking just the first track.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.
    And don't forget to include all audio tracks in Handbrake for remuxing rather than picking just the first track.
    I don't know about the handbrake stuff, but it doesn't really matter. I can't combine the VOB files for some reason. I've tried all the muxers and it keeps telling me it can't open the file. Which is weird, but when I first tried, it DID open the file and started to load all the vob files, but said it couldn't open one of them. Now it won't open ANY of them...
    Quote Quote  
  5. No idea what's going on there. Maybe protected DVD or corrupted files?

You don't actually need Avidemux for converting the .VOBs to a single .mpg.
    As you are using Handbrake you can drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder of your DVD directly onto the Handbrake surface and it will automatically scan, chain and process all the .VOBs - unless something is broken.
    Then continue with the Handbrake settings as you have been advised before.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No idea what's going on there. Maybe protected DVD or corrupted files?

You don't actually need Avidemux for converting the .VOBs to a single .mpg.
    As you are using Handbrake you can drag and drop the VIDEO_TS folder of your DVD directly onto the Handbrake surface and it will automatically scan, chain and process all the .VOBs - unless something is broken.
    Then continue with the Handbrake settings as you have been advised before.
    Ah. Maybe you can help with a new problem I've come across....I ripped a dvd and got the standard Video_TS folder. I put this in handbrake and it combined them. I kept both audio tracks, the movie audio and a commentary. It encoded to an MP4 just fine....almost. When I open the file, it's all blocky and it skips. I don't know what to do about this.

I've tried watching in VLC and windows media player, but it's the same in each player. Maybe I've got some settings wrong ?

Video Encoder - H.264
    Framerate - 29.97
    Constant Quality - 20
    audio track - English (AC3, 5.1 ch, 448 kbps)
    Codec - AAC
    Bitrate - 384
    Mixdown - 5.1 Channels

the second audio track is bitrate 160 and is a director's commentary.

Any ideas ? I've combined the VOB files just like I've been doing but this is the only time I've had a problem. The example I've uploaded is a mkv, but the mp4 plays the same garbled way.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Protected DVD?
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Oct 2024 at 14:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Protected DVD?
    You mean like copy protected ? I put the dvd in and opened it. I copied the Video_TS folder to the desktop and keep trying to convert it....you've seen the results. Clicking the VOB file opens it and it works just like a normal dvd and plays perfectly.

Maybe I just won't be able to rip this one....at least not at MY skill level...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it commercial DVD? Did you copy the Video_ts folder in Windows Explorer,
    or did you use a ripping program?

It's not your skill level that's the problem, it's your lack of details in your posts
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is it commercial DVD? Did you copy the Video_ts folder in Windows Explorer,
    or did you use a ripping program?

It's not your skill level that's the problem, it's your lack of details in your posts
    Yeah, it's a commercial dvd. I put the disc in the drive. When it loaded, I copied the Video_TS folder to the desktop. I combined the VOB files from that with avidemux and then saved the file. I then put that in Handbrake. I was told to detelecine the file and that fixed the blocky-ness of it. Now I'm just trying to figure out what settings to use to get the file to be the same quality as the original file. It's ALMOST there, but not quite. I had the Quality Rate in Handbrake set to 20, but there were some jaggy edges. I bumped it down a couple and we'll see what happens.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot assume copying any commercial DVD to the PC using Windows Explorer
    will work, probably 99% of them are copy protected (causing a scrambled mess).

If you're going do it, learn to do it right.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers

Perhaps MakeMKV would work for you, puts the main move into an MKV file using the original mpeg-2 video/
    ac3 audio (Ie. no added compression). Don't have to worry about VOB's this way

DVD Decrypter, even though it hasn't been updated since 2005, still works on many DVD's,
    maybe not the more recent ones.

Or DVD HD Decrypter offered free ripping functionality, not sure of its status these days.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    You cannot assume copying any commercial DVD to the PC using Windows Explorer
    will work, probably 99% of them are copy protected (causing a scrambled mess).

If you're going do it, learn to do it right.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers

Perhaps MakeMKV would work for you, puts the main move into an MKV file using the original mpeg-2 video/
    ac3 audio (Ie. no added compression). Don't have to worry about VOB's this way

DVD Decrypter, even though it hasn't been updated since 2005, still works on many DVD's,
    maybe not the more recent ones.

Or DVD HD Decrypter offered free ripping functionality, not sure of its status these days.
    I just finished the encode of the file. Me knocking the quality number down from 20 to 16 seems to have fixed the jaggy edges and it now looks practically identical to the dvd.

I've never really had a need to rip dvds before, as the majority of dvds that I have are either easily still available, or can be found used. The couple that I've been recently trying to rip aren't easy to find. One can only be found, rarely, used and the other isn't available at all. I just wanted to get a copy of them so I could still watch them in case something happens to the dvds.

Most of the other encoding/editing that I do is combining multiple videos into one, or in the case of a Disney tv movie from the 80s, adding back in the Michael Eisner intro to the movie that had been taken out for some reason.
    Quote Quote