VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    See especially the roof of that stage. The video is interlaced and has 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. After deinterlacing with QTGMC those aliasing artifacts are still noticeable. I think it could be a sampling issue. Any ideas how to get the best result besides using an antialiasing filter like Santiag (I tried TurnRight().Santiag().TurnLeft())? On a side note, should I save the video as 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by elektro; 17th Oct 2024 at 04:47.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try 'Very Slow' as QTGMC preset? (iirc one of the parameters that changed between 'Slower' and 'Very Slow' helped with that,...)

On a side note, should I save the video as 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
    Depends on what you are planning to do with it.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Did you try 'Very Slow' as QTGMC preset? (iirc one of the parameters that changed between 'Slower' and 'Very Slow' helped with that,...)

On a side note, should I save the video as 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?
    Depends on what you are planning to do with it.
    1. I usually use the Slow parameter, more exactly QTGMC(Preset="Slow", FPSDivisor=1, MatchPreset="Slow", Sharpness=0.5). I'm gonna give it a try with Very Slow.
    2. It's a show recording for my personal library.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 2. It's a show recording for my personal library.
    Assuming that means you might want to do something with it at a later on, I would keep the color sampling unless hardware decoding is necessary. (then you might even upconvert it to 4:4:4, since that often has better support than 4:2:2)
    Quote Quote  
  5. The problem is the video is way over sharpened. Try something like:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("sample.mkv") 
    QTGMC(preset="very slow", Sharpness=0.0)
    Santiag(3,1)
    Still some buzzing though.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yeah, applying an additional QTGMC with InputType=3 and more aggressive AA can help a bit, some flickering can also be removed with masked denoising,... question is when the effort is not worth the result anymore
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The problem is the video is way over sharpened. Try something like:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("sample.mkv") 
    QTGMC(preset="very slow", Sharpness=0.0)
    Santiag(3,1)
    Still some buzzing though.
    Thanks. But something strange happened: the image became much darker (with or without the Santiag filter). It seems that Very Slow preset triggers that. Do you have any idea why? I'm using the latest Avisynth+ and I installed the latest versions of all required tools for QTGMC.

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    But something strange happened: the image became much darker (with or without the Santiag filter). It seems that Very Slow preset triggers that. Do you have any idea why? I'm using the latest Avisynth+ and I installed the latest versions of all required tools for QTGMC.
    Possibly an old or conflicting version of masktools2 or mvtools2 . Check your plugins directory and clean it out

You can use avsinfotool to help identify versions
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by elektro View Post
    But something strange happened: the image became much darker (with or without the Santiag filter). It seems that Very Slow preset triggers that. Do you have any idea why? I'm using the latest Avisynth+ and I installed the latest versions of all required tools for QTGMC.
    Possibly an old or conflicting version of masktools2 or mvtools2 . Check your plugins directory and clean it out

You can use avsinfotool to help identify versions
    Thanks. I found the problem: QTGMC.avsi was out of date.
    Quote Quote