VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there, I finally ran across a JVC S-Vhs player (HR-S3910U) that I thought I would try out since I hear the results are so much better than composite video.

After running through the same capturing setup (except for the player and connection) and post capture processing script in avisynth+ (deinterlaced, recolored, and degrained), I'd say the s-video player results are worse. Any vertical linework is wavy. I attached two screenshots, one from the s-video version and the other from composite video. As you can see from the dancer's leg, the s-video version is much more distorted.

Would you suspect that this is maybe a player with bad heads if I can get nice output from the composite video setup? note, my composite player does not have a built in tbc
    Image Attached Images    
    Last edited by jeby1980; 15th Oct 2024 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post a video sample of the untouched captures, not processed images (btw no tbc in jvc vcr as well)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jeby1980 View Post
    note, my composite player does not have a built in tbc
    That JVC S-VHS unit doesn't either. It's the low-end S-VHS model, mostly good for recording.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mr. Computer Geek dannyboy48888's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check your cable quality. Used a cheap thin svideo cable and got checkerboard patterns and odd sparadic distortion. Got a thick properly shielded cable and it all went away minus what the actual source damage introduced.
    if all else fails read the manual
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dannyboy48888 View Post
    Check your cable quality. Used a cheap thin svideo cable and got checkerboard patterns and odd sparadic distortion. Got a thick properly shielded cable and it all went away minus what the actual source damage introduced.
    But also avoid fat-header cables, as those too often damage the VCR I/O ports.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote