VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I apologize if this is the wrong forum to put this in, but I have no idea where else to seek help with this. My father passed away and I'm attempting to repair his JVC HR-S6600U SVHS Deck which is very important to me. I'm looking for a replacement plastic drive gear. It is cracked in two places causing it to come off the spindle. Does anyone know where I might find a matching gear? Image
    [Attachment 82795 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If I was you here is how I would repair it:

-Get a fine grit sanding paper and roughen the brass ring a little bit.
    -Find a cement glue that works well on metals, do not use fast setting glue..
    -Find a piece of shrink tube that fits around the white gear externally, Cut a piece equals to the height of the plastic gear, a little overlap is ok.
    -Apply glue to both surfaces of the gear and brass ring, make sure not to put a lot that will prevent the plastic gear to seat properly at the bottom of the brass ring.
    -Put the shrink tube around the gear and heat it with a heat gun (not a cigarette lighter) while pressing down on the plastic gear to seat properly, The shrink tube while shrinking ensures it puts pressure around the gear for a better bond and close the crack, Clean any excess glue, allow the glue to cure according the the package instructions.
    -Once cured, cut, remove and discard the heat shrink tube and clean gently any remaining hardened glue with a dental pick.
    Note: Use at your own risk.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this just get the entire capstan shaft, chances of finding a gear alone or trying to remove it from the shaft will most likely crack it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There is one at eBay, not sue if the price is steep for you but you can negotiate:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/364449545691?_skw=PU61003&epid=19065611709&itmmeta=01JA1S8MNF...Bk9SR-jKornQZA
    Quote Quote  
  4. Wow, thank you for both of those suggestions. I think I just might try your method of securing it to the spindle like you said. But then again, I might just buy the one from the link but worry a little trying to get it off I might crack it. Options. Thank you both so much, it is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Mark97213; 13th Oct 2024 at 01:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Question, I have used heat shrink tube but for automotive purposes and I'm not confident it will shrink enough to leave the gear teeth with good enough edge to grip the belt. But I don't know. Is there a higher quality heat shrink tube you would suggest that will shrink enough to still give defined edges on the gears teeth??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    You don't remove the gear, you install the entire capstan assembly or at least the shaft, it's easier than it looks.
    Heat shrink tube is used only during the curing process of the cement, it should be removed later as I stated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ahh, I see, gotcha. Not sure what I was thinking. Actually, I think your repair is pretty solid and think it will do nicely. Thank you.
    Quote Quote