VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have digitized content from a DV tape, processed it with QTGMC, applied Santiag, and dehaloed it using AviSynth - and a super - no irony - help from this forum.

What bitrate would be optimal for archiving this material? Because knowledgeable GPT wrote that 25 Mbps is acceptable.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think GPT is just telling you what the starting bitrate of DV is which is 25.

For archival purposes, you should just save a copy of the DV file itself which is an identical copy of what is on the tape, presuming it was captured with firewire and was captured as DV format which would typically be with something like WinDV.

You can also save your processed file at whatever bitrate looks good to you, but as long as you have that original DV file, you can always recreate or update your processing to the original later.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for re:.

I'm unsure about the best bitrate for me. Trying to balance my computer's capacity and HDD space and good quality. I also feel that 120 Mbps from QTGMC is a bit too high for DV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're saving with DV compression you have no choice of bitrate, it's always 25 Mb/s. And if you're using QTGMC to double rate deinterlace you can't use DV compression as it only supports 25 fps and 29.97 fps. If you're using other codecs the bitrate requirement varies depending on the codec, the properties of the particular video, and your personal opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by taigi View Post
    I have digitized content from a DV tape, processed it with QTGMC, applied Santiag, and dehaloed it using AviSynth - and a super - no irony - help from this forum.

What bitrate would be optimal for archiving this material? Because knowledgeable GPT wrote that 25 Mbps is acceptable.

Thanks!
    ffmpeg.exe -avisynth_flags all -i yourscript.avs -preset slower -crf 17 output.mp4
    Quote Quote