VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I loaded both files from post #46 into VirtualDub and honestly I can't see any white color clipping (VirtualDub set to Rec601, limited)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	j668-vs-s7500.png
Views:	5
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	82923  

Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krazern View Post
    Why it's an advantage to the standard workflow? I always thought keeping the least devices in the capturing chain is good. Here the D/A conversion on output is avoided and direct A/D conversion is being captured through HDMI.
    I meant that if you use a VCR with TBC, you only have 1 A/D conversion (outside what happens in the VCR itself). When we compare your 2 captures, the standard flow is penalized. The "alternative" method includes TBC and A/D in the same device from what I have understood from your description.

Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I meant that if i try to adjust brightness and contrast in e.g vdub i can recover details in whites that look blown (not in the range?).
    I did that to this EH65 sample below.
    Not what has been clipped during capture. In general, when you see a spike a Y = 255 it means that details are lost, and not recoverable. You can brig back data that are in the 235-255 range and that are clipped by the player or by the software or by the processing. For example if you need a RGB conversion somehow, you shrink the Y > 235 and well position the details that otherwise will be missed.

Originally Posted by rgr View Post
    Well, using the ES-10 is just plugging in an extra device and doing an extra D/A conversion, right? Using the EH65 (and capturing from HDMI) is just one A/D conversion.
    Yes, see my answer to Krazern. In general, if the DVD recorder acting as capture device ALSO features TBC correction, you have everything in one device, Then you can compare with the standard workflow using a VCR with TBC and a classic capture card. If you need to add a stabilization device as Krazern is doing in the standard workflow, the comparison is somehow unfair.

In your screenshot I can see that the data is not lost, it is just in the range 235-255, right?
    Data in the reange 235-255 can be easily recovered. But when you have a spike at 255 or a little bit lower, you already lost details, and these cannot be recovered.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I loaded both files from post #46 into VirtualDub and honestly I can't see any white color clipping (VirtualDub set to Rec601, limited)
    If you setp some frame forward you will see the accumulation of the whites: hyst.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    If you setp some frame forward you will see the accumulation of the whites: Image
    [Attachment 82925 - Click to enlarge]
    OK, now I see.
    Apparently the S7500 reacts faster to brightness jumps, the J668 does it slower. But is it worse? Is it better to see 1% more or better to see 99% clearer?
    (this time the histogram is set to full range and s7500 on the left)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	j668-vs-s7500 (2).png
Views:	8
Size:	900.6 KB
ID:	82926  

Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But is it worse? Is it better to see 1% more or better to see 99% clearer?
    Intrinsic quality consideration apart, what has not been lost can be "recentered" and the rest can be "cleared". What is lost, is lost. In this specific case is not that important, because we are talking about some stripes in the white lines; in other cases you can miss important details.
    Quote Quote