VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I want to dive into the VHS digitalizing process.
    As I have 0 equipment, beside my tapes, I need to start from scratch.

My first attempts and learning I want to do with an "I-O Data GV-USB2" capture device.
    Later on, I want to change to MISRC and VHS-Decode.

Preferable, I would like to get a Sony as apparently the RF test points are easy to access.

On YouTube I saw that the "Sony SLV-750HF" is recommended as one of the best.

But as I'm located in Europe I would need a PAL VCR and also a device which I could get on the second hand market "easy".

Any VCR you can recommend?

Which VCRs are you guys using?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Don't take any video on youtube seriously, There is nothing special about that VCR, What's special about a VCR for conventional tape capturing is the quality of signal processing like TBC, comb filtering, S-Video output, High tolerance precision mechanism, Sadly those features are mostly available on S-VHS VCRs.

While any VCR should work fine for VHSdecode since the electronics are bypassed, the quality mechanism requirement still stands, There are few regular VHS VCRs that match the quality of a S-VHS deck in terms of built quality of the mechanism, But since you're just starting, I would grab the cheapest working VCR you can get your hands on and get familiar with the process, Once you feel comfortable with the process you can then look for a better VCR if you are not satisfied with the results, vhsdecode is not a simple process, there is a lot of tweaking to be done.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What if I can get one of these JVCs:

JVC HR-S6600 (70€)
    JVC HR-S7500E (170€)

JVC HR-S9500 (270€)

Are the prices reasonable for working devices?

The 6600 and 7500 are without and the 9500 with TBC, correct?
    Last edited by Name; 10th Oct 2024 at 16:47.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Name View Post
    JVC HR-S9500 (270€)
    One of the best.

Buy from trusted sources, because actual conditions are important; i.e https://vcrshop.com/shop/?s=jvc+9500&post_type=product&filter_signal-standard=pal&quer...al-standard=or
    Quote Quote  
  5. You say "one of the best", on the other hand I read on DigitalFAQ "not recommended".

I get it, plastic gears are a point of failure.

Now the question is, what would be a better affordable solution?

Any indicator I can check before getting the VCR to see if the gears are already worn off?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You say "one of the best", on the other hand I read on DigitalFAQ "not recommended".
    That statement on DigitalFAQ is false. Search the german doom9 forum for recommended PAL machines: https://gleitz-info.translate.goog/forum/index.php?board/29-analoges-video-capturing/&..._x_tr_pto=wapp (*)

I have one of them and know other people using it with excellent results. If you search the DigitalFAQ forums, you will see that some users prefer it over the S9600 (included me) because less aggressive (older) chroma noise reduction.

I get it, plastic gears are a point of failure.
    Like any other device.

Now the question is, what would be a better affordable solution?
    The VCR is by far the most important element in the capture chain, and where 95% of the quality comes from. Do not "save" money on it.

If your tape are in good shape the capture card you plan to use it is ok, together with a Hauppauge USB-Live 2 (even marginally better). Otherwise you may need an external TBC.

Any indicator I can check before getting the VCR to see if the gears are already worn off?
    You can ask to seller specific technical questions, but then you have to rely on his answers. It will eliminate resellers obviusly knowing little about VCRs, but not somebody lying. It is always better to have a "return policy"

edit: (*) here and in german doom9 forum, in particular search posts from knowledgeable user Bogilein
    Last edited by lollo; 11th Oct 2024 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Name View Post
    together with a Hauppauge USB-Live 2 (even marginally better).
    Why is this one better compared to the "I-O Data GV-USB2"?

What is the difference between these 3 models:
    JVC HR-S9500
    JVC HR-S9500E
    JVC HR-S9500EK

No letter: International
    E: European market
    EK: UK market

Is there any technical difference? Regarding the power supply, would the E model be better for the EU?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why is this one better compared to the "I-O Data GV-USB2"?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406066-What-is-best-capture-device/page3#post2660565

What is the difference between these 3 models:
    JVC HR-S9500
    JVC HR-S9500E
    JVC HR-S9500EK

No letter: International
    E: European market
    EK: UK market

Is there any technical difference? Regarding the power supply, would the E model be better for the EU?
    Search and read the (f) manuals
    Quote Quote