VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I need to be able to format a SSD disk to use with a media recorder that only works in the Mac format, But since I don't have a Mac computer I want to do it on a PC, The manufacturer of the device suggests using MacDrive software from MediaFour for PC to create and read HFS+ formatted disks and use the option initialize as GPT during formating, I don't want to pay for the software for just using a disc, Is there any alternatives out there that can accomplish this and free from spyware, malware and money? Lol.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I need to be able to format a SSD disk to use with a media recorder that only works in the Mac format, But since I don't have a Mac computer I want to do it on a PC, The manufacturer of the device suggests using MacDrive software from MediaFour for PC to create and read HFS+ formatted disks and use the option initialize as GPT during formating, I don't want to pay for the software for just using a disc, Is there any alternatives out there that can accomplish this and free from spyware, malware and money? Lol.
    try this -
    Format SSD for Mac in Windows
    To format an SSD for Mac compatibility using Windows, you have several options. Since Windows doesn’t natively support Mac file systems like HFS+ or APFS, you’ll need to choose a compatible file system and formatting method. Here are the recommended approaches:

exFAT or FAT32: These file systems are widely compatible with both Windows and macOS. You can format your SSD with exFAT or FAT32 using Windows File Explorer:
    Connect your SSD to your Windows PC.
    Open File Explorer and navigate to the SSD.
    Right-click the SSD and select “Format.”
    Choose either exFAT or FAT32 as the file system.
    Follow the formatting wizard to complete the process.
    Third-party SSD format tools: Utilize specialized software like EaseUS Partition Master or AOMEI Partition Assistant to format your SSD for Mac compatibility. These tools offer more advanced features and flexibility:
    Download and install the chosen software.
    Follow the software’s instructions to create a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD.
    Boot from the created media and format your SSD with the desired file system (exFAT or FAT32).
    Use a Mac installer: If you have a macOS installer, you can partition the SSD as GPT and format it as HFS+ (for macOS Sierra or older) or APFS (for macOS High Sierra or newer) using the installer’s Utilities menu.
    Important Notes:

Formatting your SSD will erase all data on the drive. Make sure to back up any important files before proceeding.
    exFAT and FAT32 have limitations, such as file size restrictions (4GB for FAT32) and slower performance compared to HFS+ or APFS.
    If you plan to use your SSD for professional purposes or require advanced features, consider using a third-party SSD format tool or formatting the SSD on a Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    It has to be HFS+, exFAT and FAT32 will not work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    It has to be HFS+, exFAT and FAT32 will not work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_IkUSHK1AU
    Quote Quote  
  5. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    You can use any Linux LiveCD distribution: flash it on a USB drive, boot from it : gparted is included everywhere.
    Linux Mint LiveCD is very easy to use (interface is windows like - click on the menu, launch gparted, format the drive.. Reboot) but any other "modern" Linux distro is extremely easy to use, anyway.

That's the easiest and cleanest way, for me: no shitty "freemium" software to install on Windows and job easily done.

(using linux distro LiveCD is quite ALWAYS the safest and cleanest way to solve problems of any kind with drives, data, partitions.. Linux is incredibly reliable, safe and flexible with any filesystem)
    Quote Quote