VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

If I buy a nVidia Shield TV Pro, will I be able to play 1080p MKV files (with subtitles displayed) from a NTFS-formatted USB stick? And will it look good? And can I do this without needing an internet connection, once all necessary apps have been downloaded and installed? Sorry if I sound like a moron, but these are all genuine questions.

A little background: I previously used a unit called WD TV to play my videos, but the unit broke and the WD TV product line is discontinued since several years back. That unit was just perfect. The movies looked great on it, plus I could also play DVD ISO files on it and it would mount the ISOs and the DVD menues would be displayed just as if I was playing the actual disc in a DVD player.
    I understand nVidia Shield TV Pro probably can't play DVD ISOs, but can it at least play my MKV files? I don't really have any experience in streaming media players, but I've tried to research it and from my understanding, nVidia Shield TV Pro has USB ports that will read units both FAT32, exFAT and NTFS-formatted. And it also said it can play MKV files if I install a media player like Plex or Kodi on it.
    So question is, is all this accurate, and most importantly, will it look good? The files look good when I play them on my computer, but I tried playing them on a cheap Chinese media player from Temu and they looked horrible (pixelated and they played jerky).

Last question, there is also a less expensive unit called nVidia Shield TV. Will that also work for what I need it for, and will it look as good? I've looked at pictures of it and I can't see it has any USB ports?

I don't want to use my computer anymore to play my videos and I don't want to buy a small HTPC etc.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have no experience with nVidia Shield TV Pro and it looks like a decent gadget but might be rather expensive.

You mentioned WD TV in your post. I have WD TV Live Hub (also discontinued) that I purchased many years ago from the USA. I used it only for a short while but stopped after having satellite TV at home. It is still in it's original box. See attached user manual.
    The gadget has HDD inside and I was able to play videos directly from the HDD. I will need to hook it up to see if it is still working.
    If you are interested please send me a PM. Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails WD_TV_Hub_Manual.pdf  

Quote Quote