VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go again. I've digitised a VHS tape, which appears to be PSF.

There are major jaggies on the coloured wing of the aeroplane at the 1.3 second mark. Using Direct Stream Copy, I've added a pan of another aeroplane alert which doesn't seem to be as bad.

I used TFM on it, to no avail, and then QTGMC and VDub's internal deinterlacer.

Is there a solution or have the jaggies been burnt in by the maker of the tape?

Thanks for looking!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some times ago you were asking for an example why analysis of fields is more appropriate than frames for checking video architecture. Here you have one. The jaggies are already in the fields, they do not depend on the fields architecture.

QTGMC for progessive repair does not help much here, but IIRC if you search the forum jagabo had sourced in the past some script to reduce such a defect
    Quote Quote  
  3. The general approach is to apply antialiasing filter(s) on that section only (e.g. use Trim) if the entire video does not need it - because AA filters are quite destructive to detail in general

Since they jaggies are quite severe, one trick is to downscale, apply AA filter(s), then upscale

If you have other sections, you can just apply the filtered version with more Trims, or RemapFrames

Code:
    o=AVISource("Aero Jaggies snip.avi").ConvertToYV16() #for some reason clip is RGB

o
    Spline16Resize(400,300)
    santiagmod(3,3)
    QTGMC(inputtype=2)
    Spline64Resize(720,576)
    f=last

o.trim(0,33) + f.trim(33,209) + o.trim(210,0)
    #ConvertToYV12()  #for the demo
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. @Alwyn: Any reason why you captured to RGB?
    Last edited by Sharc; 3rd Oct 2024 at 11:01.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Since they jaggies are quite severe, one trick is to downscale, apply AA filter(s), then upscale
    Excellent solution, master pdr (similar to jagabo IIFC)!

Any reason why you captured to RGB
    Yes, I also noticed that and had to convertToYUY2() for processing, strange
    Quote Quote