VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I needed to transfer about 1TB of videos between two external HDD drives with USB 3 interface (blue USB connector)
    My new computer has on the rear of the motherboard (according to the MB user guide) four USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports with blue colours and two USB 3.2 Gen 2 (with green colour)
    The green connectors are supposed to be faster than the blue and are are backward compatible.
    But when I connected the two HDD's to these connectors, the transfer rate was miserably slow and it would take 1 day to complete the transfer.
    I shut down the PC, connected the HDD cables to two adjacent pair of USB blue connectors and the transfer rate is now what I expected fluctuating between 30MB/s to 90MB/s and it should finish the transfer in about 3-4 hours.
    I also disconnected all other external HDD's and in both cases I had only the two specific HDD drives.

My question is why the green coloured ports were so slow?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Transfer speeds are dependent on what you are transferring. Many small files take a lot longer than one large file.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Kawaiiii
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    My question is why the green coloured ports were so slow?
    Maybe the two Hard Disk are connected to the same controller ?

What is the transfer rate using the blue connectors VS the green connectors ? How many different controllers (green connectors/blue connectors) do you have on your Motherboard ?

If you have only a road connecting two points.. and there are cars coming/going from/to both those two opposite points......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Subtitles View Post
    I needed to transfer about 1TB of videos between two external HDD drives with USB 3 interface (blue USB connector)
    My new computer has on the rear of the motherboard (according to the MB user guide) four USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports with blue colours and two USB 3.2 Gen 2 (with green colour)
    According to Wikipedia:

Black or White = USB 1.x or USB 2.0.
    Blue = USB 3.0
    Teal blue = USB 3.1.
    Yellow, Orange or Red = USB 3.2 (high current/sleep-n-charge ports).
    Quote Quote