VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Wanting to copy a DVD, but the disc has scuff marks around the periphery as well as minor scratch marks (not seen in photo). It is difficult to copy this disc because the DVD reader can't read some of the disc content due to the scuff marks (and possibly due to minor scratch marks as well).

Looking at cleaning this disc in the hope of eventually being able to copy all of the DVD content.

I've looked at several disc cleaning method videos online, but I have some doubt as to the validity of the cleaning methods, and there seems to be a risk of permanently damaging the DVD disc, which I don't want.

What are known reliable and effective DVD disc cleaning methods/procedures that actually work and minimize chances of permanent disc damage?

Prefer responses from people who have actually carried out the procedure (successfully) themselves.

Thank you.

[Attachment 82594 - Click to enlarge]

EDIT: Forgot to mention that there are no professional disc cleaning services in my area (as far as I'm aware), so I can't use a professional cleaning service (locally).
    Last edited by meeshu; 2nd Oct 2024 at 10:09. Reason: Professional cleaning note
    Quote Quote  
  2. My experience has been BAD trying home cleaning methods.
    So I would recommend finding a professional disk cleaning business.
    They have machines for polishing the disk.
    It is impractical for a person cleaning a disk for their own use to have one of these machines.

I have tried toothpaste (A joke IMO).
    Car polishing & rubbing compound.
    All of these left the disk "cloudy" not clean & shiny like new.

If Isopropyl alcohol on a microcloth & a dry buffing with a microcloth doesn't clean the disk enough.
    Then I would not use other home cleaning methods.

Try a program named IsoPuzzle to rip the DVD disk.
    It has to be used with a decrypter like DVDFab Passkey.
    Or AnyDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the comments.

I forgot to mention that there are no known professional disc cleaning businesses in my area, unfortunately.

Yes, I'm a bit wary of these home remedy solutions to clean DVD's. But I'm still trying to keep an open mind on what method works best for cleaning discs without damage.
    Quote Quote