VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. There's tons of stuff to convert PGS to other formats, based on parsing text and converting to SRT and other formats, but that's not what I want.

I don't want to edit an existing PGS subtitle file either.

I want to create my own totally new PGS subtitle file with my own images in it. If there's software out there to do this, my googling skills aren't up to the task of filtering out the mountains of search results that are most definitely NOT what I want.

I'd settle for any other graphic-based format that works with VLC and Handbrake. I tried using an ASS subtitle file, but both of those pieces of software choke on that.
    Quote Quote  
  2. "My own images"? Do you want to embed custom graphics in the subtitles? Or you just meant a PGS generated by yourself?

Anyhow you have two options, depending of the complexity of your subtitles:
    - SubtitleEdit, for basic ASS/SRT files where there are no overlapping timing and no custom elements like drawings.
    - ass2bdnxml + SUPer, for every other cases, including very complex ASS files.
    Last edited by cibo; 30th Sep 2024 at 05:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm not sure what software you need.
    I have not worked much with subtitles.
    I was going to suggest PGCEdit but I'm not certain if it works with PGS as it was written for DVDs.
    The author of PGCEdit has some software for blurays & the topic in the link has some useful information that might help you.
    Unfortunately toward the end of the topic some idiot started posting & got the topic closed & got banned.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392807-Converting-2D-PGS-subtitles-to-3D-HalfSBS-PGS-subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by cibo View Post
    "My own images"? Do you want to embed custom graphics in the subtitles? Or you just meant a PGS generated by yourself?

Anyhow you have two options, depending of the complexity of your subtitles:
    - SubtitleEdit, for basic ASS/SRT files where there are no overlapping timing and no custom elements like drawings.
    - ass2bdnxml + SUPer, for every other cases, including very complex ASS files.
    Yes, I mean images created by myself. And I also meant creating a result in PGS format, not ASS. I tried using ASS subtitles. VLC won't play a file with ASS subtitles. Handbrake won't process a file with ASS subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  5. HandBrake and VLC definitely support ASS subtitles. Both of them ship with libass as THE text subtitle renderer. You must be doing something very wrong.

You can embed images in ASS scripts with Aegisub then export your script to BDNXML+PNG via ass2bdnxml, and then convert to SUP with SUPer.
    Quote Quote