VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When choosing software encoding over hardware encoding, using the x264 encoder, I know how to make the output visually lossless. I use CRF mode, with the value 15. Or I use 2-pass mode, with the maximum bitrate that CRF 15 allocates (which is 17 Mb/s for 1080p 30 fps).

The problem is that when I export a video from a NLE, I have to use hardware encoding, because software encoding is too slow. It's not just 2x slower, it can be up to 10x slower. So to export at a reasonable speed, I have to choose Intel QSV instead of 2-pass software encoding. If I choose 2-pass software encoding, and set the bitrate to 17 Mb/s for a 1080p project, I know the output file will be visually lossless. But if I choose Intel QSV and set the bitrate to 17 Mb/s, i know the output will not be visually lossless because encoding is done with only 1-pass.

So 1-pass and 17 Mb/s is lower visual quality than 2-pass and 17 Mb/s. Which means I have to set the bitrate higher than 17 Mb/s for 1-pass, to compensate. So my question is: if 1-pass and 17 Mb/s is not equivalent to 2-pass and 17 Mb/s, then how can I find out what bitrate is equivalent?

The easiest solution is to just set 17 Mb/s for 1-pass, but I was hoping there was a way to find out the visually lossless bitrate for 1-pass, just as there is a way to find it for 2-pass.
    Last edited by codemaster; 29th Sep 2024 at 09:38.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Too many half truths and false assumptions
    Quote Quote  
  3. The problem I have is I don't know what bitrate to choose when exporting a 1080p 30 fps video, with Movavi Video Editor.

One solution I found is to use the same bitrate that x264 CRF 15 uses, which is 17 Mb/s. Another solution I found is to use the same bitrate that my camera uses, which is 17 Mb/s. But what I can't find is how to make sure the output file will be visually lossless when encoding with Intel QSV or AMD VCE.
    Last edited by codemaster; 29th Sep 2024 at 17:50.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just use CRF, don't use a specific bitrate.
    Different videos, depending on their complexity (smooth/textured
    soft/sharp, mostly action/mostly still, etc - have varied
    Bitrate needs to achieve a certain quality.
    Just use CRF and allow the encoder to find the right rate
    to fit the needs of the particular video
    Quote Quote  
  5. In Kdenlive it's very simple because I can select CRF 15 from a slider when exporting, and I don't have to know what bitrate to set in order to make sure the output file will be visually lossless. But because Kdenlive doesn't have the features I need, I have to use Movavi Video Editor. And with Movavi I have to set a bitrate, because it doesn't have CRF mode.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by codemaster View Post
    The problem I have is I don't know what bitrate to choose when exporting a 1080p 30 fps video
    Nobody knows what bitrate to use. Different videos require different bitrates. Action, noise, flickering lights, smoke, fog, smooth gradients all require more bitrates. If you encode everything at at the same bitrate some videos will get more than they need, other less. If you encode two different videos at crf 15 one might turn out 17 Mb/s, another 25 Mb/s, and another 5 Mb/s, all depending on the properties of the different videos.

And "visually lossless" is very subjective. It depends on how closely you look, the size of the screen, how far you are from it, how good your TV is, ambient lighting, how good your eyesight is, etc.
    Quote Quote