3 - C
    4 - D
    5 - D
    6 - E
    7 - F
    8 - G
    9 - H
    10 - H

What is this style referred to as? I was able to get a clean 24 frames using IVTC, using the frame blend option (whatever it was called) using Virtual Dub 2.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it NTSC frame rate?
    If so you can set the IVTC filter to
    reduce frame rate/auto detect/adaptive
    to recover the film underlying film frames
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Is it NTSC frame rate?
    If so you can set the IVTC filter to
    reduce frame rate/auto detect/adaptive
    to recover the film underlying film frames
    Thanks! It is an NTSC frame rate. When searching through this site, IVTC doubles the frame rate to around 60, correct?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ReveriePass View Post

Thanks! It is an NTSC frame rate. When searching through this site, IVTC doubles the frame rate to around 60, correct?
    NO. IVTC (Inverse telecine) undoes the telecine from the DVD, to leave 4 unique frames followed by a duplicate.

To remove the duplicate yielding the original 24 (23.976) unique frames use "reduce frame rate" as mentioned above.

If you're not sure it's right, provide a 30 second sample showing some movement
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Originally Posted by ReveriePass View Post

NO. IVTC (Inverse telecine) undoes the telecine from the DVD, to leave 4 unique frames followed by a duplicate.

To remove the duplicate yielding the original 24 (23.976) unique frames use "reduce frame rate" as mentioned above.

If you're not sure it's right, provide a 30 second sample showing some movement
    So, the file I ripped from my DVD has 4 unique frames followed by a duplicate. What does this mean? That it was already inverse telecined?
    Sorry, just trying to learn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ReveriePass View Post

So, the file I ripped from my DVD has 4 unique frames followed by a duplicate. What does this mean? That it was already inverse telecined?
    Sorry, just trying to learn!
    It depends on how you are viewing it, and how it's being processed. Some hardware or software might be deinterlacing it , for example

What hardware, what software, what configuration, what decoder, what renderer, what settings are being used to view the "ripped" DVD ? Is it a 1:1 rip , or a "copy " of the DVD, or is it not really a "rip", but a re-encode ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On typical NTSC DVD's produced from film stock (old Hollywood movies, etc),
    without any vdub filters being active you would normally see
    3 "clean" frames + 2 with combing. This is the 3/2 pulldown pattern,
    4 source film frames become 5 video frames (because of the 29.97 fps NTSC requirement),.

if you enable the IVTC filter but not "reduce frames" you'll see 4 "clean" frames + 1 dup if you step through frame by frame
    (The IVTC filter extracts the missing clean frame from the 2 combed frames)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

EDIT - if your DVD file really has 4 good frames and one dup straight off, then maybe all it needs
    is to decimate out the dup frame
    Last edited by davexnet; 25th Sep 2024 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    On typical NTSC DVD's produced from film stock (old Hollywood movies, etc),
    without any vdub filters being active you would normally see
    3 "clean" frames + 2 with combing. This is the 3/2 pulldown pattern,
    4 source film frames become 5 video frames (because of the 29.97 fps NTSC requirement),.

if you enable the IVTC filter but not "reduce frames" you'll see 4 "clean" frames + 1 dup if you step through frame by frame
    (The IVTC filter extracts the missing clean frame from the 2 combed frames)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

EDIT - if your DVD file really has 4 good frames and one dup straight off, then maybe all it needs
    is to decimate out the dup frame
    Thanks so much for all of this information! Super helpful. To double check, I bought the DVD on eBay so I can rip it myself.
    Quote Quote