VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Panasonic camcorder which splits the recordings into several files because of the file size limit on the media cards, and when I merge them in my video editor (DaVinci Resolve) they don't sync up properly which can easily ruin videos if this "stutter moment" happens at important points in the recording. Now it seems the solution to this is supposedly to download HD Writer and do it there instead, however after installing the program (Hd Writer LE 3.2) I have been trying to figure out how to do this for HOURS now with zero progress and feel like I'm going slowly insane.

The main problem seems to be that every single forum thread or web page explaining how to do this that I've been able to find, seem to all suggest you're supposed to actually visibly SEE the separate files you want to join together in HD Writer, and after that you're just supposed to join up the clips by either dragging them down on some timeline, or by creating a new project and selecting the clips and outputting a file, etc. But I can't select the files in plural that I want to merge together because I always only see them as one singular file within HD Writer.

On my camera card I have my recording split up into two (.MTS) files, one roughly 40 minutes long and the other 30 minutes, but when I open HD Writer and access my camera, all I see is one single file icon for a 1 hour and 10 minute recording, which also plays exactly that way if I double click it - as if it was apparently just one long file. When transferring it to my PC with HD Writer, I get both files (as .m2ts) copied separately over to the hard drive, but when I access that drive folder in HD Writer, they still show up as just one single 1 hour and 10 minute recording there too.

I've tried to right click this one file icon and choose "Edit video - Join Clips" after which it ran some sort of process, but still spat out two brand new copies of the separate two 40 and 30 minute files onto the hard drive. I also tried to follow some other instruction that started with going to "Edit Video", "Create a new project" in the menu, selecting a file type, choosing your file and then "output file" but that ALSO just spat out the two separate files onto the hard drive again.

Nothing I try to do ever seems to produce just ONE file as a result, and since I never actually see my two files as two separate files in HD Writer, how am I supposed to even select them to join them into one in the first place, if I can't even select them separately?

If somebody could please explain how to actually accomplish this I would be eternally greatful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Tssplitter

Use this tool for merging. This works flawlessly with Panasonic MTS files (also works 100% with Sony and Canon too).
    Quote Quote