VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could let me know if this workflow is good for capturing VHS via Amarec in great quality. Like many others I've had issues with Vdub, specifically audio sync, which makes it a no-go.

My hardware setup is: Panasonic NV-SVB10 -> S-Video -> GV-USB2 -> Windows 10 PC -> Amarec

These are my Amarec settings:

[Attachment 82347 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 82348 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 82349 - Click to enlarge]

When playing back on VLC is looks fine interlaced standard, but when I play it apply deinterlace via VLC I notice that the quality kinda drops when you look at it frame by frame, as if there are tears within the image, I've uploaded a video capture sample.

Deinterlace OFF:
    [Attachment 82350 - Click to enlarge]

Deinterlace ON: (notice the black sharp cut offs in the text)
    [Attachment 82351 - Click to enlarge]

I need some advice before moving forward:
    • Do these settings look good? Any video codec alternatives?

• If I wanted to batch encode, let's say, 20 x 3-hour video captures, is there a simple workflow you would recommend?

• Are there tutorials and workflows/scripts recommended for denoise, crop, resizing to the correct aspect ratio, and finally encoding?

• I'd deinterlace the video files into something lossy, in a smooth 60p. 80% of the video files do not need to be in lossless quality, but enough quality where you wouldn't notice a drop (if that makes sense).
    The end output for most files doesn't need to be lossless. I'd ideally like to batch convert a bunch of 3-hour tapes into a high-quality lossy file where you generally wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and the lossless. I'd also be keeping clips or selections in lossless.

Any help is much appreciated! I'm on Discord. Maybe someone would be able to walk-through this with me. Willing to help for your generosity ($)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Amarec shows deinterlacing is TFF there, not off.
    - In VLC, use Yadif 2x as the mode.
    - Best deinterlacer is QTGMC, and just encode a copy (NOT ORIGINAL!) version to view. Use Hybrid, pay attention to deinterlace settings.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The "Deinterlacing" setting in Graph2 (Preview) tab are only for AmarecTV display windows, and has no effect on capture.

Set "Frame rate" in "Recording" tab to 999, to force the frame rate of the capture card rather than defining it in software.

Enable "Make a report file" in the "Advanced" tab, to keep trace of inserted and dropped frames at software level.

Your setings are OK, many others (including myself) use HuffYUV rather than Lagarith, but that's fine.

A real time deinterlacing with VLC is not that effective.

Are there tutorials and workflows/scripts recommended for denoise, crop, resizing to the correct aspect ratio, and finally encoding?
    there is no resizing to correct aspect ratio required. In AviSynth crop to 704x480 masking head switching noise, deinterlace with QTGMC or inverse telecine with TIVTC/TFM, denoise with TemporalDegrain2 or similar, perform some sharpening with LSFmod or similar, and encode to h264 with ffmpeg adding 4:3 DAR flag (there are many example in the forum)

Additional defects in the capture require specific plugins in AviSynth.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I analyse all my captures with VDub2, not VLC. You can quickly deinterlace using the internal filter and then step through, frame by frame (or field by field) to check what's going on.
    Quote Quote