VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi. This is my very first time on a forum such as this one. I am not the brightest computer whizzkid around, but I love to learn. At 67 years of age I need a lot of learning and I need to be taught a lot. I am trying to take the video files off of a DVD and put them onto a Flash Drive so that customers can watch the DVD off of the Flash Drive. I have succeeded in copy-pasting the VIDEO_TS folder off of the DVD and pasting it onto the Flash Drive. But that's as far as I've been able to get. Now I need HELP! Please!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Here's a top level summary:

1. Copy & pasting works IF your disc is not encrypted. Most commercial discs ARE, so another method is needed.
    2. "Ripping" software is that method. The better (for consumers) ones have built-in decryption. However, decryption is not allowed by many countries (except in some special circumstances), so it is difficult to find ones that are still enabled with that.
    3. "Ripping" software pulls the files off the disc, and (optionally) decrypts them as well. But note: some apps call themselves that, and what they are doing is ripping + decrypting + re-encoding to a new format.
    4. You MAY actually be wanting them re-encoded to a new format, depending on what your target devices support. Always check w/ the manuals to see what is supported: many modern media players prefer [AVC/H264 video + AAC audio in MP4 or MKV container].
    5. Note: MPEG2, and AVC/H264, and HEVC/H265 all have different flavors within the same format - levels & profiles, so in addition to the container, and the codecs, you need to verify the level & profile are supported as well.
    6. If you do not re-encode, your files are MPEG2 video + (likely) AC3 audio in MPEG VOB container, which can be re-muxed into a standard MPG container. This would give you a 1:1 copy with same quality as your source, but this is NOT as much supported as it used to be, in embedded media players. No problem for computers, though.

Hope that helps,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by AfricanChef View Post
    I am trying to take the video files off of a DVD and put them onto a Flash Drive so that customers can watch the DVD off of the Flash Drive.
    I do not know the laws in your country.
    Some are "international" laws about copyright.
    The point is you need to be careful that you do not break the law & get into trouble.
    This is if the DVD is a commercial DVD. If it is a personal DVD then it should not be a problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you managed to copy and paste the TS files to the flash disc, then I can assume that this is not a commercial DVD which is encrypted.
    What you can do is copy > Paste the files to your computer hard disk, install Handbrake and use it to convert the files to one *.mp4 file.
    Handbrake can also do the encoding using the disc option, but it takes more time and your DVD drive works harder.
    Handbrake has many encoding options so choose the type of encoding that your computer can handle otherwise your computer can get hot.
    When you finally get your *.mp4 file, copy > Paste it to the flash disc.
    Quote Quote