VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What does a JVC HR-S3902U VCR, Panasonic ES15 and AmaRecTv have to do with each other?

In my case, I was in need of a relatively in-expensive work flow solution for my more challenging VHS archiving endeavors, mainly for EP and well used tapes. So, the following work flow was put in place…

Windows 10
    JVC HR-S3902U VCR (utilizing the auto-video calibration and the video stabilizer capabilities)
    Panasonic ES15 (utilizing the TBC-ish capabilities)
    I-O Data GV-USB2
    AmaRecTV

Captures were going well. Yielding better than expected results, for three standard play tapes (timer was set in AmaRecTV for their respective play times). Then an extended play tape, was up next. Timer, was again set for the respective time limit (6.66 hours or 400 minutes play time). The capture didn’t take. After some fussin and cussin, I discovered that the Pani ES15 has a default time limit of six hours (of being powered on). No worries, I’ll just change the default time limit on the Pani ES15 from six hour to never. Problem solved I said, Ha not so fast. Didn’t work out… After un-installing, re-installing software and hardware several times and with a little more cussin and fussin. I took the Pani out of the chain. Success, the EP tape has been successfully archived, though not to the quality I was looking for.

So. when the Pani was set at the default time limit of six hours (of being powered on) and ran out, it would close out AmaRecTV without finalizing what had been captured. When the Pani time limit was set to “Never” for some reason un-beknown to me, the JVC VCR, at the end of the tape would rewind then eject the tape. At that point AmaRecTv would, again close out, not finalizing the capture.

In conclusion…
    I’ve placed the Pani back in the chain, reset to the default time limit, being mindful that a restart of the Pani for every capture or two will give me less headaches in the foreseeable future.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Okay Folks,

I'm wiping the egg off my face now...

My above problems had a very simple fix/solution. I had been in the habit of turning off the blue back on the JVC VCR, after turning it back on all my above mentioned problems went away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 916Area52 View Post
    Okay Folks,

I'm wiping the egg off my face now...

My above problems had a very simple fix/solution. I had been in the habit of turning off the blue back on the JVC VCR, after turning it back on all my above mentioned problems went away.
    This is a clear sign of lack of frame TBC. Many devices balk without continuous data -- and even with continuity, it may or may not faithfully capture.

The blue screen being on is not a solution, just a delay of the inevitable.

This is also why AmaRecTV is suspect at frame capture integrity, as this situation should result in at least some dropped or inserted frames. Thus not reporting, or different considerations of what is a "drop" is. And AmaRecTV was created for analog-source streaming/"broadcast" *(ie, an analog OBS), which has a different goal than videotape capture.

You surely have problems in your captures. Someday you'll see them.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This is also why AmaRecTV is suspect at frame capture integrity, as this situation should result in at least some dropped or inserted frames. Thus not reporting, or different considerations of what is a "drop" is. And AmaRecTV was created for analog-source streaming/"broadcast" *(ie, an analog OBS), which has a different goal than videotape capture.
    Always the same bullshit. AmarecTV has proven its quality many times and there are many evidences on the forums, contrary to this nonsense blah blah blah.

@916Area52, just ignore this!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Good morning,

@lordsmurf,
    Thank you for the affirmation that the JVC VCR having the blue back being on solved my JVC VCR vs Panasonic ES15 vs AmaRecTv capturing woes.

@lollo,
    I have found that every operating system (XP, 7 and 10) and capturing software (VirtualDub, VirtualDub2, OBS, AmaRecTv and the worst, Elgato) I’ve experimented with, most definitely has their very own cult like following. The operating systems/capturing software that I’ve tried all have their unique challenges, especially for the beginner (the lack of hair on my skull can attest to this). I am and will continue to be in the AmaRecTv capturing software camp until something better comes along.

A fellow traveler, Alwyn, shared a quote, “Perfect is the enemy of finished, after all”.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So. when the Pani was set at the default time limit of six hours (of being powered on) and ran out, it would close out AmaRecTV without finalizing what had been captured. When the Pani time limit was set to “Never” for some reason un-beknown to me, the JVC VCR, at the end of the tape would rewind then eject the tape. At that point AmaRecTv would, again close out, not finalizing the capture.
    Frustrating indeed when your capture program unexpectedly stops and you end up with an unfinished/unfinalized capture file you then need to recover/rebuild.
    That is why i always like the seamless segmented capture feature of ScenalyzerLive so much.
    It can capture in "finished" segments which can be joined/merged afterwards without losing any frames.
    That is also so convenient when you doing "marathon" long captures and easily can keep/delete the parts you want.
    I really miss that feature, seamless segmented capture, in VirtualDub/AmarecTV.
    The old AVi_io also did this perfectly.

I am and will continue to be in the AmaRecTv capturing software camp until something better comes along.
    VirtualDub (2) has some features i really like and AmarecTV not has, but for "perfect" A/V sync, when not using DV, I go for AmarecTV too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Always the same bullshit. AmarecTV has proven its quality many times and there are many evidences on the forums, contrary to this nonsense blah blah blah.
    @916Area52, just ignore this!
    Disagree with the AmaRecTV aspect all you want, that's fine, we all know where you stand.

But the main point of my reply -- the part that should NOT be ignored -- is that lack of frame TBC is what causes discontinuity issues, and is what also leads to dropped frames, regardless of the software choice. It's all part the same larger concept of data loss in (what's supposed to be) a continuous data flow.

The software comment is simply how various software is designed to handle the lost or mistimed data.

@lordsmurf,
    Thank you for the affirmation that the JVC VCR having the blue back being on solved my JVC VCR vs Panasonic ES15 vs AmaRecTv capturing woes.
    That should not be the takeaway here.

You basically just fixed a flat tire with a bandaid, and are already driving down the road again. Uh ... okay. I guess you'll learn later. You'll post about it eventually, they always do.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 19th Sep 2024 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
  8. @lordsmurf,

"Originally Posted by 916Area52 View Post
    @lordsmurf,
    That isn't the takeaway here."

It was for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was for me
    We shall see! Good luck to you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Disagree with the AmaRecTV aspect all you want, that's fine, we all know where you stand.
    More important, we all know where you stand as well, and I will always write where I stand replying to falsity

Of course, AmarecTV does not replace an external TBC, but that wasn't the sense of my reply.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @The_Doman,
    Thank you for your feedback... I have a "list" software (and hardware) that I would like to explore/experiment with as time permits. After looking at ScenalyzerLive that you referred to, it will definitely make it on the "list".
    Quote Quote