VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Go to 11:10 - the shot starts with a closeup of a tv screen on a large airliner, pulls back goes up to the 2nd level goes down the aisle, over the seats turns around to follow the characters to their seat, all one continuous shot. The camera doesn't seem to go far enough up the stairs for it to be someone with a Steadicam.

https://youtu.be/dsE-ZJUjftg?si=leHMKVL5qXm3k7pE&t=670
    Last edited by brassplyer; 8th Sep 2024 at 21:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TV is likely fake, CG, all post-production work. Maybe all of it.

The aisle shot is just camera on a moving plane (planar). Remember, this is a set, not real airplane, to "the stairs" may not exist at all.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 9th Sep 2024 at 00:50. Reason: plane, plane clarified
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, CG. The plane's cabin may also be CG, or partially, as an overlay. If there were any real "monitors" behind the seats, they would be green/blue-screened, so that the morphing headshots composite would be overlayed onto each, in a nested fashion.
    But it's easy enough to have the actors be in an empty soundstage, and use motion tracking coordinates from the CG to guide the motion of the cam on the actors, or vice-versa.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video has been taken down so most likely a fake.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The video has been taken down so most likely a fake.
    No, it's up.
    It's the 2005 movie Flightplan with Jodie Foster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, CG. The plane's cabin may also be CG, or partially, as an overlay. If there were any real "monitors" behind the seats, they would be green/blue-screened, so that the morphing headshots composite would be overlayed onto each, in a nested fashion.
    But it's easy enough to have the actors be in an empty soundstage, and use motion tracking coordinates from the CG to guide the motion of the cam on the actors, or vice-versa.

Scott
    CGI was that sophisticated in 2005?

Okay, I see Jurassic Park was made in 1993 so clearly it was even more advanced by 2005.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 9th Sep 2024 at 07:13.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by brassplyer View Post

Scott
    CGI was that sophisticated in 2005?

Okay, I see Jurassic Park was made in 1993 so clearly it was even more advanced by 2005.
    The Matrix came out in 1999.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The clip isn't available for canada viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM

Scott
    Green screen and CG shooting has become the standard in recent times
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A decent VPN will let you view content blocked in your country.
    Last edited by brassplyer; 9th Sep 2024 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to add, that shot is pure inanimate objects, which is vastly easier to CG. Excluding those TV screens (guaranteed CG), the rest of the shot could be a set shot, CG and partial set, or just all CG. I actually doubt it's full CG, and even the partial CG is probably less than 20%.

It could even be multiple cameras, a pseudo bullet-time of sorts, that was smooth panned in post. Even this is cheaper than full CG (at least back then), likely even easier.

There are a lot of things you can do without CG. The only "need" for CG here is those screens, as you cannot photo/video them that clear or in those angles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Just to add, that shot is pure inanimate objects, which is vastly easier to CG. Excluding those TV screens (guaranteed CG), the rest of the shot could be a set shot, CG and partial set, or just all CG. I actually doubt it's full CG, and even the partial CG is probably less than 20%.

It could even be multiple cameras, a pseudo bullet-time of sorts, that was smooth panned in post. Even this is cheaper than full CG (at least back then), likely even easier.

There are a lot of things you can do without CG. The only "need" for CG here is those screens, as you cannot photo/video them that clear or in those angles.
    Would they be able to blend footage from more than one camera precisely enough to make it look like one uninterrupted shot?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Would they be able to blend footage from more than one camera precisely enough to make it look like one uninterrupted shot? "
    Yep!

"In this world all is artifice and fake m'dear"
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Would they be able to blend footage from more than one camera precisely enough to make it look like one uninterrupted shot?
    Oh yeah, and (somewhat) easily.

My video skills are conversion, restoration -- not as much editing or shooting. My editing is "competent", but my shooting is still very novice level. Even I could shoot and edit (stitch) multiple shots. The CG is for somebody else, but I could do the pre-CG source. The main limiter for shooting like this is proper tools and imagination.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A decent VPN will let you view content blocked in your country.
    Already viewed it through my vpn.Just saying lot of people don't have a vpn.
    Quote Quote