VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey everyone,

So I work with subtitles and translation. Short context: I want to sub and translate YouTube videos (FR=>EN), which is usually quite a long task. I recently found out about Subtitle Edit and was glad to see it has a lot of automation tools. After playing around with the soft, I found out that the best way to come up with good subtitles was to manually define my in and out timings, so that it makes sense to the human mind. Then, I tried to autofill the lines with the program's voice to speech, with good results. My plan was to auto-translate afterwards.

Big problem though: when I auto translate the lines into English, sentences get split and kind of "overflow" into the next lines. Let me give you an example:

LINE #1 Original: The blue bird is beautiful.
    LINE #2 Original: I'm amazed.

LINE #1 Translation: The blue bird is
    LINE #2 Translation: beautiful. I'm
    LINE #3 Translation: amazed. Blablabla

I would understand that this could SOMETIMES be a problem, as we're dealing with 2 different languages, so sometimes mid-sentence, it would kind of make sense. But it seems to be happening all the time. The software seems to like to split sentences and move the few last words at the beginning of a new line.

I don't know if I'm being clear enough, I'm happy to provide a file and give more explanation. Basically I'm trying to find a method I can put in my workflow and save some time, but I know that either way I have to go over those subs a lot and work on my own translation. Only now, it would take me way more time to work with those weird, broken sentences than to do it from scratch.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks a lot in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you give the link to this specific example?
    I want to test it myself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yo, I uploaded it in attachment. Well it's French => English, hopefully you will understand enough to see that some bits just get "shifted" to the next line (or sometimes the previous one!)

Thanks a lot btw
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Odey View Post
    Yo, I uploaded it in attachment. Well it's French => English, hopefully you will understand enough to see that some bits just get "shifted" to the next line (or sometimes the previous one!)

Thanks a lot btw
    I meant I need the link to the original video on YouTube not your translation to English. Merci.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    I noticed that this video has already English subtitles. I downloaded the transcripts and opened it in SubtitleEdit. Opened also the video and created the audio waveforms (see attached image - the text is for line 2). Everything looks perfect.
    The only way to replicate what you have is to hit the split line so I get for the first line these sentences:

Without splitting the lines

Line 1

Hello everyone! A few things first: I have a mustache, a
    goatee and a stye. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

After splitting the line:

Hello everyone! A few things
    first: I have a mustache, a

goatee and a stye. But that's
    not what I'm here to talk about.

Your file

00:00:00,001 --> 00:00:01,684
    Hello everyone already
    several things I have a

mustache a goatee
    and a stye that's it but

Your translation is different from what is in the video already.

The guy behind the microphone speaks fast and doesn't pause so the text line looks too long to follow while watching.
    Did you add the subtitles yourself or you are trying to do it yourself from scratch?

I hope that this helps you a little

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SubtitleEdit Snapshot2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	81963  

Quote Quote  
  6. Actually, you helped a lot. Opening transcripts with the software is pretty smart, and helps in my case. Thanks!!
    Quote Quote