VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm encoding a television show. After deinterlacing, several of the episodes have a shimmer in certain scenes of the episode. QTGMC InputType=1 cleans this up nicely. That said it's taking me a lot of time to go through every episode. Is QTGMC InputType=1 destructive? I would like to filter all episodes with QTGMC InputType=1 to save time but if it is destructive I'll check each episode.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How did you deinterlace, to begin with? With QTGMC or something else?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And more, are you sure you need to deinterlace at first? Many TV Shows are not interlaced. Add then apply additional QTGMC with progressive settings?

Post a sample of the source
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes, like (as good as) every filter out there, QTGMC with InputTpe=1 can cause issues depending on the source and the other settings.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    How did you deinterlace, to begin with? With QTGMC or something else?
    QTGMC(Preset="medium")
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    And more, are you sure you need to deinterlace at first? Many TV Shows are not interlaced. Add then apply additional QTGMC with progressive settings?

Post a sample of the source
    It's a telecined animation with some scenes and credits completely interlaced. I'm bobing them to keep the additional 59.94fps motion in the areas where it is interlaced. There is also a lot of dot crawl which QTGMC is fixing. Here is a clip of a scene I'm dealing with that has some shimmering. Look at the books/magazines in the back after using QTGMC(Preset="medium"). Filtering with QTGMC InputType=1 after deinterlacing fixes this.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. QTGMC(InputType=1) does eliminate the shimmering but it does causes some sharpening and mild damage to other parts of the picture. You can eliminate the sharpening with Sharpness=0. You can interleave() before and after and use an editor to step back and forth between the two.

Code:
    # output of your QTGMC()
    Interleave(last, QTGMC(InputType=1, Sharpness=0)
    I use VirtualDub2 to view the results and Windows Magnifier to zoom in 4x. Judge for yourself whether it's a problem.

The better fix would be to use TFM().TDecimate().ChangeFPS(60000,1001) on the parts that IVTC cleanly, then trim and paste the IVTC and QTGMC sections together.
    Quote Quote